Hows this for close to trouble ?

afewmoreyears

I worked recently 1500 ft. or so from the huge Transmitter antenna array on top of Mt. Wilson overlooking the entire city of Los Angeles.   We shot at the Observatory seen in the photo, inside and out.

25 TV stations and 22 FM stations broadcast from there.. Thousands of watts...  I was told by many "experts" that it was doubtful that any of our RF gear would work... including an engineer from one of the stations who works up there I spoke with before we shot...  I went hoping for the best and expecting the worst. I was ready for hardwire hell 10 ways...I thought my Comteks stood a chance, but my wireless might be gone...  

I was wrong...  Everything worked perfectly...  I do owe a "great job" to my Venue 2 and wireless designer system to really fight through the chaff to find some holes in the abuse and find some open channels to work on... Comteks worked fine... both lettered channels (72Mhz) and  216s...  Go figure...  It really goes to show that you never really know until you fire up the gear and see what works... 

Can't say enough about that system..  

Photo is the backside of the array....  WAY more antennas when seen from the front, south side of the mountain..

Antenna pic.jpg

I've been up near there too. It is a bit easier now that transmission is mostly digital, so much less bleed. Nothing is on 216, really, and the only trouble I have had with 72 is emergency call boxes on the freeway.

The new wide band gear really helps to find holes, and mostly we just need a handful.

My biggest RF issues stem from walkies and wireless focus and camera control, spreading random and bleedy 2.4 and 5.8 all over the place.

Glad it worked out for you.