COS-11D or DPA 6060

Alex Weinberg

What do you guys think is better?

I currently have a COS-11D into a Lectrosonic system. 

I use my mics hidden under the shirt with a concealer.

The 6060 has a concealer coming out from hideamic and ursa straps so concealers should not be a problem.

What do you guys think sounds better, is it worth an upgrade? (Comparison below).

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO9YeomedKc](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO9YeomedKc)

Sound aside...

(not specifically for this actual 6060)

how big is the actual mic....

how big is the cable...

waterproof..resistant..

how strong..

will it crack over time...will it need "olive oil" to survive..

can it be repaired if a break at the mic end occurs..

price..

sensitivity..

how active is the cable near the mic..

and most likely a bunch of technical details as well..

There are actually a bunch of things to consider when adding new lavs... They all bring a little something to the table.. only the buyer can sift through the differences, and listen to the sound to really decide what fits the bill for the mic your looking for.  

Well....I recently picked up two of my first DPA lavs to add to my collection, a 4061 Slim and 4060. I was literally blown away at the sound they reproduce. Just wow. I use them mainly in the “concealers,” and I have yet to deploy the button mount on the slim.  I use Sanken Cos-11d’s, and Countryman B3’/ B6’ lavalieres extensively and have been happy, but that DPA sound. Wow. However...the cable material on the DPA is terrible in my opinion. It’s a very STIFF cable, not like the softer/  supple  material used in the Sanken or the Countryman. What I’ve noticed is -at least in my eyes, NOT  ears is that I can  see the cable whenever it’s hidden. It’s like it just doesn’t Flex right, so any movement and I’ll see a little “cable bump” come and go... It’s like I always want to use my  DPA’s but every time I put it on...it comes off in 5 min because I just can’t stand to see the cable. Wardrobe is a slim T Shirt, forget the DPA, button down...we’ll see. Polo shirt...maybe. Does the cable “soften” up over time? No idea. Whenever It works, DAYUM that sound is AMAZING and I love it. Just my opinion... 

8 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

With thin, tight shirts it depends a lot on how you run the cable.

Yeah, totally agree...we all have our own  style. It’s just I could spend all day fighting the DPA or just grab a different mic and be done. (That sound though!! So awesome! )

Seriously I  was so excited to get the DPA’s, I picked up 2 (Slim & 4060) as a test  to see if I wanted 8-10 to be in full time rotation. Nope. I’ve bought many many lav’s over the years and I can’t remember any cable changes in my Sanken or Countryman. Seems like if DPA changed the cables they would use it in their marketing..”hey guys remember those hard/ stiff cables we had for years...well we finally have an awesome cable now!” Appreciate your $$ 

But hey, live and learn. Never stop learning. 

“Older DPA's has that stiff cable; new ones are very soft and not so much glossy feeling as the older ones.”

Excately....mine are BOTH glossy...

i'm excited to take the new 6060's for a whirl. per the cable question, i thought you could order all/most of the DPA with various cable configurations. they make the more nimble thinner cables which i use extensively and then they make the 'durable' or 'heavy' cables which are thicker akin to the COS-11d.

I was all 11d and b6 most of my career until recently buying 4063's and they completely changed my life - i fight for laving all the time now because these dpa's sound so good and i have zero issues hiding them or with cable noise/cracking etc in all sorts of situations.  I really can't remember the last time I've used anything else but DPA's honestly. The core versions have a thin fully flexible soft cable - at least the ones i have. This 6060 sounds like a great step forward if all other elements are the same. I personally think 11d's are great backups relatively. To the people having problems are they with these newer core versions?

-Ken

• 5 months later...