UltraSync BLUE - Timecode over Bluetooth from TCS

Jim Feeley

14 hours ago, Carmi Weinzweig said:

The UltaSync Blue is $179, vs. $284 for a Tentacle-E. Combining an UltraSync Blue with an UltraSync costs $478 vs. $512 for two Tentacle-e boxes.

How do you sync the UltraSync Blue? Can they sync to a regular UltraSync unit? 

Generally speaking, in many scenarios you only really need one Tentacle TC box. Most (semi-) professional recorders will hold sync just fine on their own

On 10/28/2018 at 5:21 AM, Constantin said:

How do you sync the UltraSync Blue? Can they sync to a regular UltraSync unit? 

You can sync one to a regular UltraSync, any other Timecode Systems Gear, an Atomos Ninja V with the Timecode module or a Deneke TCB slate. I would also presume that one could sync with an F8n, as I know it can provide timecode to the F8n.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:21 AM, Constantin said:

Generally speaking, in many scenarios you only really need one Tentacle TC box. Most (semi-) professional recorders will hold sync just fine on their own

Given that it can talk to 4 devices at once over Bluetooth, one seems like it would serve fine in many cases. I would also expect that as more devices add Bluetooth,  more with be able to pair with the UltraSync Blue over time. The option for talking to 4 devices at once would work nicely, especially if the devices can hold timecode even as they move out of range.

On 10/28/2018 at 4:58 AM, chrismedr said:

the Tentacles have a physical TC output which the UltraSync BLUE hasn't. since non of my cameras/recorders support TC over BT that's a pretty significant advantage (ie the BLUE is pretty much useless to me).

That is an advantage of the Tentacle E over the UltraSync Blue, but not of the Tentacle system over the Timecode Systems system. In other words, if you only need a single Tentacle E, it is more comparable to the UltraSync. If you need to have more than one device (e.g. to sync with iPhones, GoPros, etc.) and if your gear supports Bluetooth, the UltraSync Blue adds value to the system as a whole, as well as its standalone use for Bluetooth capable environments.

• 5 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Boomboom said:

Don't know if someone bought it here, but my question would be:

If I just want a simple slate displayed on a phone (apple or android), would the USBlue link directly into the phone via Bluetooth and display TC in an app like the Time Code Buddy app? I mean WITHOUT having to use the Pulse or Wave wifi hub ? (would be nice for script or GoPro sync on-the-fly). OR even to other apps in the phone like the TC Toolbox from Denecke ?

I would bet that this will be possible, otherwise I‘d understand even less the purpose of this box. You can certainly do this with a Tentacle so technically it’s possible 

• 1 month later...

What is with this device if you need another TCB device to hook it up to the recorders most used in the industry? 

Ie. If SD and TCB can't or wont find a way to patch the recorder's TC into the UB via wingman and UB app or UB app allows iOS to acquire recorder TC through a cable and iOS HP connector it's a dead 1. Good idea to link up with BT capable cameras (lets hope there will be more of these) but what about already existing BT capable audio recorders.