chrismedr

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K (BMPCC-4K)

First units appear to be shipping, so I thought I'd worth mentioning the interesting points for soundies:

Audio in through unbalanced 3.5mm stereo jack or one channel balanced TA3 with 48V phantom.

According to the manual it also accepts TC through the 3.5mm jack real timecode camera metadata (like the MixPre-3/6)

If anybody gets a hands on with one of those let us know how it works : )

chris

Someday…

I wonder if it's possible to build a split cable for a Tentacle to run TC into the 3.5mm input and the scratch audio mic into the TA3 in. If anyone would care to get me a Pocket 4K and a Tentacle I'd be happy to report back!

2 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

Someday…

I wonder if it's possible to build a split cable for a Tentacle to run TC into the 3.5mm input and the scratch audio mic into the TA3 in. If anyone would care to get me a Pocket 4K and a Tentacle I'd be happy to report back!

The camera is not out yet. I was one of the first preorders on adorama.

Should be fine but does BMPC ta3 have voltage for microphone?

10 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

Someday…

I wouldn't bother with that; just use a TC device/Tentacle for the TC on the hybrid TC/Audio input and use the build in mic from the camera for scratch. If you want you can use a camera hop track on the xlr input. My guess is the build in mics of the BMPCC are better than the  tiny scratch mic of the tentacle sync. The reason they buid it was for DSLR cameras, because when you want to use the mic in it bypasses the internal mic. I believe the BMPCC just lets you select whatever you want via the menu.

1 hour ago, Vincent R. said:

I wouldn't bother with that; just use a TC device/Tentacle for the TC on the hybrid TC/Audio input and use the build in mic from the camera for scratch. If you want you can use a camera hop track on the xlr input. My guess is the build in mics of the BMPCC are better than the  tiny scratch mic of the tentacle sync. The reason they buid it was for DSLR cameras, because when you want to use the mic in it bypasses the internal mic. I believe the BMPCC just lets you select whatever you want via the menu.

You're right; I have the original BMPCC and don't even think about using the built in mic.

19 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

from the manual it looks like you can route TA3 balanced mono, built-in micc L, built-in mic R, 3.5mm L and 3.5mm R in any combination to the 2 camera channels. so you could use the built in camera mic for scratch which should have better quality then the tentacle mic.

edit: ah, vincent already covered that, sorry for the double.

17 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

The camera is not out yet. I was one of the first preorders on adorama.

Should be fine but does BMPC ta3 have voltage for microphone?

some cameras have already been delivered (not many in the US though)

and yes, the TA3 has P48

There have been a few schemes like this in the past, and I got unacceptable TC bleed into audio, mostly within the connector when using the same connector for both TC and audio.  If you could use one connector for audio and the other for TC only that could be interesting.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:56 AM, chrismedr said:

According to the manual it also accepts TC through the 3.5mm jack real timecode camera metadata (like the MixPre-3/6)

BMD's older Blackmagic Design Micro Cinema Camera also worked the same way too. 

On 10/13/2018 at 9:36 AM, Philip Perkins said:

If you could use one connector for audio and the other for TC only that could be interesting.

TA3 for scratch audio, 3.5mm for timecode input. 

On 10/8/2018 at 2:34 AM, Vincent R. said:

My guess is the build in mics of the BMPCC are better than the  tiny scratch mic of the tentacle sync.

I've had a listen to the BMPCC4K built in mics (btw... the BMPCC is a different camera!) and they sound surprisingly "good" (by the low standards of camera mic standards! Certainly compared to the original BMPCC it sounded a lot better).