small bag

newzhack

I am at the point of not wanting to hoist around my 664 with all the stuff in it for more than 30 minutes, maybe an hour. I am going to start carrying a small mixer for boom work during b-roll. 

I am leaning towards the mix pre with a wireless hop. 

Any suggestions?

Depends on how limiting you want to go? Ideally perhaps a 633

But if going with the MixPre, then the MixPre3 is the smallest (& cheapest!) and is truly teeny tiny super small (I want one!). But then you're limited to only a boom plus two lavs. Which might be all you're seeking, then happy to use your hefty 664 for everything else. 

Or you might go for the slightly bigger (but still extremely small) MixPre6, but that only gives you one extra channel (if running TC too) over the MixPre3. Might not seem like a big enough leap up? So then you're looking at the MixPre10T which could really cover a lot of your needs on many shoots instead of a 664. But by this time you have increased a lot in price/weight/size, and you might start to wonder why not just get the small 633?

It really depends on your own personal preference as to where you draw that cut off line for what "most" means when it comes to your smaller secondary recorder being able to cover for "most" of your jobs instead of the 664. 

Another recorder to consider also is the Zoom F8n, and is what I've personally chosen over any of the MixPre series. 

One final mention, is the Sonosax SX-SR4+ which I reckon is impressively powerful for its very small size. But then you're looking at a cost which is even greater than your 664 is worth. 

Id give a reccomendation for the mix pre 6. I bought one earlier this year to build a lightweight bag, and have found myself leaving the 633 in the pelican as backup when the extra tracks/outputs/auto mix aren't required.

I've taken it out with no issues on many documentaries, and the weight savings have been significant especially for run and gun/travel gigs. The 2.21 firmware had a few nice updates for MS monitoring/decoding and its come handy on VR shoots as well. Heres a photo of the rig inside a Jansport fanny pack. If you do go this route I'd make up some low profile cables to save even more space in the bag.

20180425_114029.jpg

MP6 user here too. I am very happy altho the latest firmware is somewhat buggy for soloing playback isos. I was perfectly happy with how 1.53 was and I hope that the next firmware brings back the same stability. I use a small petrol bag and the Sony battery sled fits perfectly. I'd say its good for 3 wireless and a boom, but I have done up to 5 wireless and a boom and its fine but the settings for 5/6 is a bit buried plus you lose the ability to read TC.

The zoom/SD debate can go on forever. But for a small rig SD wins for me due to size, weight, limiters and last and not so often talked about - analog hp filter to remove subsonic rumble of some mics before the AD that can otherwise eat headroom and overload.

For super small I use a mixpre-d going into a zax 742 with a stereo cone.  Great for doing b-roll and being super small all of it is in a pacsafe waist pack. No need for a recorder at the 742 has it built in. Works great for a single boom for just b-roll

Can throw a single wireless in there for the really small jobs. 

13 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

For super small I use a mixpre-d going into a zax 742 with a stereo cone.  Great for doing b-roll and being super small all of it is in a pacsafe waist pack. No need for a recorder at the 742 has it built in. Works great for a single boom for just b-roll

Can throw a single wireless in there for the really small jobs. 

Dont think you can get smaller than that!

I am 6 weeks out of a complete knee replacement and my energy level is just not what it was, but getting better. I have had 3 days of work in the last 2 weeks and am really grateful that I can still get around. 

I was struggling to stay with a very active shooter last Monday chasing the Budweiser Clydesdales. Praying that my other knee holds together, I don't want to go thru this again. I am down to one pain pill a day, I just took it (feeling chatty, sorry for any punctuation errors). 

I had to turn down two movies this summer due my fear of not being able to finish them. I am also getting more and more requests for me to boom and mix. Now I can say, "No problem, you get two wireless and a boom."

If I use this for live shots can you run a breakaway cable from these little guys? I like the fact the Mix Pre-d has xlr outs. 

Any pros and cons on bags for the mix pre-3. 

I am now looking at bags and wondering which one to get. So far I am using a messy makeshift option, a small Lowepro camera bag with no proper cable routing.

The options seem to be:

- Orca OR-27

- Sachtler SN607

- K-Tek Stingray MIxpro

Unfortunately I don't have a proper retailer nearby where I could have an actual look at them. 

Of the three options I think that the most capacious would be the SN607, where I could accomodate a MixPre 3, some accessories (spare batteries, etc) and maybe headphones plus small binoculars. I see that it would be compatible with a MixPre 6 inca se I wanted to upgrade to Ambisonics. 

I am making some nature recordings and I may include one or two wireless receivers, so I prefer a not too tight bag. Resistance to nasty weather is a plus of course!

I forgot. Does a 10 inch iPad Pro fit inside?

15 hours ago, newzhack said:

I am 6 weeks out of a complete knee replacement and my energy level is just not what it was, but getting better. I have had 3 days of work in the last 2 weeks and am really grateful that I can still get around. 

I was struggling to stay with a very active shooter last Monday chasing the Budweiser Clydesdales. Praying that my other knee holds together, I don't want to go thru this again. I am down to one pain pill a day, I just took it (feeling chatty, sorry for any punctuation errors). 

I had to turn down two movies this summer due my fear of not being able to finish them. I am also getting more and more requests for me to boom and mix. Now I can say, "No problem, you get two wireless and a boom."

If I use this for live shots can you run a breakaway cable from these little guys? I like the fact the Mix Pre-d has xlr outs. 

Any pros and cons on bags for the mix pre-3. 

I hear ya. I was doored on my bike 3 years ago and that has motivated me to make things as ergonomically friendly when possible. 

The mix pre 3/6 only have a 3.5mm stereo out. I only use this rig when sending a wireless hop to camera.

Sorry to hear about your knee. My knee is also bad and it is the main reason I go as light as possible.

+2 for the Sachtler/Petrol bag. I believe my Petrol bag is the predecessor to that Sachtler. I have a photo of it in the show your bag thread. I really like the back pocket for reaching and changing batteries with the lmount sled.

Regarding breakout cable for live event. I don't know. I have not been brave enough to try it so I rented a mixer the one time I needed it. Thinking of picking up a 302 (similar size as mp6) for the times when its needed. Maybe others can fill in if its feasible to use a DI box or something for longer cable runs from the out. But I bet you will miss the return switch of your 6 Series recorder/mixer.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:57 PM, Dave Pullmer said:

Dont think you can get smaller than that!

https://www.sonosax.ch/product/minir82/

It's reassuringly expensive, has 2 mic Pres, 4 line I/Ps, 8 AES I/Ps (ready for all the AES O/P radios long before many were available :-). Too bad the display and controls are in the wrong place for a bag.

I've been playing around with making a small/backup bag with a mixpre-6.

The recorder is currently in a k-tek MixPro bag. It is a very good bag and the recorder fits in it perfectly, but I assume as with all small bags some corners are cut to minimize the size. 

My takeaway from this recent experience, is to have a very clear image of everything you possibly want to install in the bag; batteries(what type), wireless, power distro etc. and then select the bag to see how it fits.

For example I use NP1 battery that fits in the MixPro pouch, but it doesn't fit under the recorder which would have be my preferred place. 

The pouch itself is great for accessories but not so much for wireless RX and so on. I've added an extra pouch on the side for a RX. 

So I ended up adding small things to the small bag, were in hindsight perhaps I'd preferred having a slightly bigger bag.

The bright side is that it's much lighter than my 633 bag.  I'll post pictures later.