What is your spare recorder

alidav

Since I've lost (probably stolen )  a Tascam dr100 was thinking to buy a new small recorder for fast works with the only boom but in same time was also considering to buy a reliable backup recorder in case of any issue with my actual sd 664,  what is your choice about a spare recorder, to have on the bottom of your bag? 

I still have a Fostex pd6 still perfectly working, but heavy and cumbersome and not easily portable, so I thought at a zoom f8 with 8 tracks and the most recent sound devices M series but bit more expensive than the zoom. 

I have a DR100mkII for backup. The only downside is that you choose phantom power, or not, for both ch.

Any of the Zoom F and Mixpre series will do the job, everything is about channels, cost and how much you are willing to pay for a backup. I wouldn't pay too much for a backup (Mixpre10T, maybe the 6 also). Maybe the MixPre M is a good choice also.

I approached it this way:

- not economical for me to have an exact duplicate of my main recorder

- what's more important in a backup, number of channels or quality of sound? For me it is sound quality 

- I need to continue the work flow with my backup (ie timecode, provide feed for comtek, camera hops) 

- I need it to be small and easily portable. 

When you lay out your needs, then it will help you decide which is the right backup for you. 

Zoom F8n backup for a Nomad, because it will do the job, it's just small enough, has proper timecode, and I use it as a supplementary recorder anyway, as I have twice now in the last couple of months for continuous timecoded music performance desk feed and as a lightweight option for when it's just one radio and a boom etc. I've bought two more TX's for it for the camera hop, to speed up changeover.
I've been very happy with the F8n for the money, I don't want a whole other Nomad anyway.

I own 2 Nomad 12 bags.  One with 6-8 channels of radios and an FP8 which stays on the cart most of the time, and one with 4 channels of radios that is used when I need to go mobile.  They are perfect backups for each other.  I also have a MixPre6 that I use for Ambisonics and sometimes documentaries, but in a pinch could work for small jobs.  Good to have options.

I think it's smart that your back-up recorder has the same workflow as your main recorder. I have a 788T and a 664 that serves as a back-up and a bag rig recorder. Used to have 2x 788T, but found it unnecessary, and I like the 664. The spare 788T was dead weight. Although I might actually buy another if SD doesn't come up with something I like with more tracks.

Since you have a 664, it'd be smart to have another of the same, or if you're just looking for a mix back-up to get you by until you can get another 664 brought to you, then a used 744T. The file naming and such is the same, and it's important to keep things simple for post if your one machine goes down.

If I were you, however, I'd go for a 633. It'll add some capabilities.

at the moment  I can't afford another sound devices series6,  but I don't feel confortable to go somewhere on location with just one recorder, thats why at least i have been thinking to something cheaper but better than nothing, I am looking at a zoom h6 or again another tascam dr100,  useful also for  fsx recording and simple stuffs, like 1 boom and a wireless for example. I totally agree with you that a spare recorder has to  guarantee the same workflow, as time code, ifb, audio distribution to cameras, via wireless or via breakway cable etc, but an emergency is an emergency. As soon as I d like to get a sd 633

On 10/6/2018 at 12:36 PM, INARI said:

ZOOM F4 and H5.

in no way to blame.

thinking about a zoom h6, since i need  the combo xy mic for some effects recording,  and can give 4 tks via xlrs. as soon as i can I think ill go on a another sd like 633

On 10/6/2018 at 11:07 PM, alidav said:

I still have a Fostex pd6 still perfectly working, but heavy and cumbersome and not easily portable, so I thought at a zoom f8 with 8 tracks and the most recent sound devices M series but bit more expensive than the zoom. 

Avoid the Sound Devices MixPre M series, you want to consider the normal MixPre3/6/10T instead. 

For me personally, my Zoom F4 is my back up to my Zoom F8n. (and my old Tascam DR680mk1 is my back up back up! Which I haven't even turned on in years now)

For my bag I use a 633 as my main recorder.  Then I have a Zoom F4 as backup since it's cheap, has hirose power built in, full size XLR inputs, and accepts timecode.  God forbid something happen to my 633, I could pop in the F4 into my bag in minutes and not have to swap a single cable vs my 633 to reduce downtime.

I am so torn between getting the zoom f4 or a mixpre 4. I would love to have a very small setup for run and gun stuff. The zoom makes more sense with the time code and xlr outputs but it weighs twice as much as the mix pre and would not have as small of a footprint. 

9 minutes ago, newzhack said:

I am so torn between getting the zoom f4 or a mixpre 4. I would love to have a very small setup for run and gun stuff. The zoom makes more sense with the time code and xlr outputs but it weighs twice as much as the mix pre and would not have as small of a footprint. 

You could use a couple Tentacles or something similar to act as the master TC clock for the mixpre6. I used the F8 on a job recently and found the internal TC wasn’t super stable. Ended up running a sync box to it. It’s so tiny and light! Your back will thank you!

11 hours ago, newzhack said:

Check the SD FB page for feedback on current MP firmware. My current BU to 633 is a DR-680. Yes, it is limited and old, BUT it has the advantage (over MP series and Zoom) of also having an AES O/P so an extra 4 channels can be accommodated into the workflow (of 633) with 1 less journey through AD convertors for 6 of those channels.

On 10/6/2018 at 4:36 PM, Philip Perkins said:

744T.  If you keep the HDD clean and the internal (AA) battery working you can't kill it.

Decided a while ago that there's no point selling mine. It's still worth a lot more to me as a backup than the €1k or so they go for now. Recently replaced the internal AA for the first time.

On 10/14/2018 at 12:52 PM, newzhack said:

There isn't a MixPre 4, maybe you mean the MixPre3 or MixPre6? (which is only four channels if you're doing TC as well)

Also, the Zoom F4 isn't that heavy at all, it is still a lightweight option (a little less than a 633). 

But yes, if you want super lightweight and compact then a MixPre is the way to go!

On 10/14/2018 at 1:06 PM, Trey LaCroix said:

I used the F8 on a job recently and found the internal TC wasn’t super stable. Ended up running a sync box to it. It’s so tiny and light! Your back will thank you!

The F8's timecode is rock solid. 
But... you need to leave it switched on all day (not a big deal at all though if you've got an external battery). 

Also, the new F8n is meant to be further improved so you can then power down during the day (for lunch etc) without it losing TC.

21 hours ago, IronFilm said:

There isn't a MixPre 4, maybe you mean the MixPre3 or MixPre6? (which is only four channels if you're doing TC as well)

Also, the Zoom F4 isn't that heavy at all, it is still a lightweight option (a little less than a 633). 

But yes, if you want super lightweight and compact then a MixPre is the way to go!

The F8's timecode is rock solid. 
But... you need to leave it switched on all day (not a big deal at all though if you've got an external battery). 

Also, the new F8n is meant to be further improved so you can then power down during the day (for lunch etc) without it losing TC.

The F8 has super rock solid timecode *AND* allows you to power down now with no hit on TC if you install the v.5 firmware upgrade.  The only 3 things I can see that's missing on the F8 compared to the F8n after an upgrade on the F8 is that the 1/4" connections only do line input,  the XLR connections only do mic input, the TA3 outs only do mic and prosumer line, and the USB connection doesn't supply power.