What is your spare recorder

alidav

9 hours ago, Vivid Lizard said:

The F8 has super rock solid timecode *AND* allows you to power down now with no hit on TC if you install the v.5 firmware upgrade.  The only 3 things I can see that's missing on the F8 compared to the F8n after an upgrade on the F8 is that the 1/4" connections only do line input,  the XLR connections only do mic input, the TA3 outs only do mic and prosumer line, and the USB connection doesn't supply power.

Ohhhhh.... I hadn't realised that was one of the feature of the new v5.0 firmware update! Well, that is even more good news for the original F8 owners. I can only hope as a new F8n owner that I'll still be just as luck with new updates in three years from now!

14 minutes ago, Rick Reineke said:

The F8n allegedly has an 'improved' HP circuitry. The 1st gen F8 was reportedly noisy, but that's something I could live with, (like the 1/4" line inputs) if I wanted to save a few hundred $$$.

As spare recorder, hoping I am going never to use it I love it, especially if i pay 3-400 € less

6 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

The F8n allegedly has an 'improved' HP circuitry. The 1st gen F8 was reportedly noisy, but that's something I could live with, (like the 1/4" line inputs) if I wanted to save a few hundred $$$.

The v5.0 firmware for F8 apparently resolves the headphone issues and makes it sound just as good as the new F8n now. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The v5.0 firmware for F8 apparently resolves the headphone issues and makes it sound just as good as the new F8n now. 

Wow, so there might not have been any hardware changes at all in:

i. A headphone amp system

ii. A power distribution system that allows a switched off machine (without a second dedicated battery) to keep on powering a TC clock.

Impressive.

But still possible (i: the noise may have been a software problem which was identified and resolved; ii: the machine now has a 'sleep' mode which keeps the TC clock going). I haven't read any manuals or updates before posting this so forgive any abruptness.

Still, it would be good to hear from Zoom Official (hopefully listening here) what the actual situation might be. If the F8n was improved in hardware and the F8 ironed out in software I would be impressed and gladdened to be told it so. The F8 I believe was a game changer for lower cost quality semi pro gear (I think more than the DR680 and the Roland R44 - although both still hold the AES io advantage).

Jez

1 minute ago, daniel said:

AES/cascade aside, I'd imagine a F8n is better than DR680 in almost every way

Hey!  My DR680 still gets used to this day.  I use it to drain down 8 NiMH batteries quickly before recharging / deep cycle charges and oh boy does it drain those batteries quick!

4 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Wow, so there might not have been any hardware changes at all

Oh, there still has been hardware improvements with the F8n. 
But yes, they're relatively small tweaks, which means the F8 is still an amazing bargain. 

1 hour ago, codyman said:

Hey!  My DR680 still gets used to this day.  I use it to drain down 8 NiMH batteries quickly before recharging / deep cycle charges and oh boy does it drain those batteries quick!

oh LOL

1 hour ago, daniel said:

AES/cascade aside, I'd imagine a F8n is better than DR680 in almost every way - it's got 8 crappy faders instead of 1 crappy encoder/fader for starters :-). tc, dual sd slots, balanced o/p, fader board, better layout, colour display, app etc.

Yup, I've owned 2x DR680 before I moved on to F4 then F8n
Even the F4 is better than the DR680 in every way for 98% of users. But yup, I could imagine there is a few 2% of people who could find the DR680 to be more handy instead. 

4 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Still, it would be good to hear from Zoom Official (hopefully listening here) what the actual situation might be. If the F8n was improved in hardware and the F8 ironed out in software I would be impressed and gladdened to be told it so. The F8 I believe was a game changer for lower cost quality semi pro gear (I think more than the DR680 and the Roland R44 - although both still hold the AES io advantage).

Official accounts from Zoom have often responded on the Zoom Facebook forums, they're very active with users on this. Many many times so over this thread. 

"Yup, I've owned 2x DR680 before I moved on to F4 then F8n
Even the F4 is better than the DR680 in every way for 98% of users. But yup, I could imagine there is a few 2% of people who could find the DR680 to be more handy instead. "

– Yet, it is a bit disappointing to have so many digital recorders out there with no AES I/O and/or a link/cascade feature - not least as a link/cascade feature would make owning multiples of the same the machine have a greater value (and function) than just the sum of parts.

"Many many times so over this thread."

– Copy that! 

Dan's already said it but,

Zoom F4 = 4 mic pres, 6 isos, stereo mix

2x DR680 = 12 (I think?) mic pres, 14 (I think) isos, stereo mix

Just "my two percent"

With Dalton too here - interested, but not interested enough to get hip with the usergroup.

And codyman, my second recorder is the R4 Pro - massive for a piece of plastic, all the switches in the wrong place (didn't think of the bag), BUT tc (ok maybe not the best), AES io, and I've just thought this could be BRILLIANT for speed draining AAs for recharge ... why didn't I think of it before? Ha, cheers!

I think the F8 (not the DR70/701, nor F4, nor SDMP6) was the 'last' game changer - and still wonder why the 'regression' of (none) AES io has happened and persists with the two main players - the one function that would make 'a spare recorder' a real asset. True, I may be missing the convenience/simplicity of HDMI but once again haven't given it much thought.

Jez

1 hour ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

And codyman, my second recorder is the R4 Pro - massive for a piece of plastic, all the switches in the wrong place (didn't think of the bag), BUT tc (ok maybe not the best), AES io, and I've just thought this could be BRILLIANT for speed draining AAs for recharge ... why didn't I think of it before? Ha, cheers!

I was going to try to sell it for whatever I could get for it but let's face it, it's worth maybe on a good day $120 so I kept trying to think of a good way to re purpose it.  Long and behold, it's battery draining ways popped into my head and sure enough, still likes to suck up AA's like they are going out of style!  I just throw 8 NiMH partially used batteries in there, turn it on with all 6 channels with phantom power turned on, and then let the unit completely die out which takes two hours tops.

2 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

I think the F8 (not the DR70/701, nor F4, nor SDMP6) was the 'last' game changer

The F4 is still pretty darn good as a back up recorder (or a starter recorder), as it is almost the same as the F8 if you don't need the slightly higher track count or bluetooth. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The F4 is still pretty darn good as a back up recorder (or a starter recorder), as it is almost the same as the F8 if you don't need the slightly higher track count or bluetooth. 

Does it have a new firmware update a la F8?

9 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Dan's already said it but,

Zoom F4 = 4 mic pres, 6 isos, stereo mix

2x DR680 = 12 (I think?) mic pres, 14 (I think) isos, stereo mix

Just "my two percent"

With Dalton too here - interested, but not interested enough to get hip with the usergroup.

I think the F8 (not the DR70/701, nor F4, nor SDMP6) was the 'last' game changer - and still wonder why the 'regression' of (none) AES io has happened and persists with the two main players - the one function that would make 'a spare recorder' a real asset. True, I may be missing the convenience/simplicity of HDMI but once again haven't given it much thought.

Jez

DR-680: I/Ps: 6 analogue mic pres, 2 digital. Recording: 6 ISOs + Stereo Mix record  OR  8 ISOs (6 analogue, 2 digital).