waterproofing and mounting a lectro bodypack?

rcoronado

I have an sfx recording session coming this weekend at a kitesurfing waterpark.  There's no dialogue to be captured - only sfx, and I'm primarily just running shotgun rigs, but I'd LOVE to be able to get a mic actually onto the wakeboards to capture some up close water movements.  

I do have a lectro SMQV bodypack and a countryman b6 that can be used, I just need to be sure to get my mounting and waterproofing 100% correct on that rig before I attempt it.  

anyone have any experience or advice on this?

thanks in advance!

I've had good luck with an Aquapac waterproof bag/case designed for transmitters. Worked better for me that double heavy-duty ziplock bags, etc (though perhaps there's a better techinque for that than what I've encountered). This looks like similar (and currently available) models:

https://aquapacusa.com/?s=microphone&post_type=product

Below is a picture of one of the two models I found on their site.

I've also used modified otterboxes (like Pelican Microcases) that were modifed by Trew Audio (IIRC) to perform similar waterproofing. But to be clear: My uses have been in sweaty, splashy, and rainy environments. Lots of water for prolonged periods, but not constant full immersion. That's what the Aquapacs are designed to withstand; I just don't have personal experience with that. Perhaps someone else here can say if they live up to their claims.

And while the B6 should work, if you have a mic like a Countryman EMW, there's less chance of a water droplet clogging the mic opening. Or so my anecdotal (and not immersive) experience tells me.

There's one opinion. Let's see what others suggest.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.54.29 AM.png

Nowadays I work in public radio, but every year we broadcast a happening here in Uppsala, Sweden, where our show hosts are all on rafts in the small river running through town. they are wearing wetsuits and Lectro transmitters with a handmic (Sennheiser MD21 with a condom and vulcanising tape). The Txs are SMQV, or the european equivalent which I can't remember now. 

We put the TXs in Aquapacs or equiv, and stow those pacs in wristbands on their arms. It works great! But the river is obviously not salty, but the TXs never come out wet, even if the show hosts fall in the water. 

The show hosts are on the river for about an hour. So I can't vouch for these packs for longer periods of time and with salty water, but they work, sure. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 2:42 AM, rcoronado said:

I have an sfx recording session coming this weekend at a kitesurfing waterpark.  There's no dialogue to be captured - only sfx, and I'm primarily just running shotgun rigs, but I'd LOVE to be able to get a mic actually onto the wakeboards to capture some up close water movements.  

If it is just SFX recordings with no dialogue, one option to consider if you want to reduce your risk exposure (and not need to worry about wireless issues if underwater) is use a bodypack recorder such as the Tascam DR10L. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay check this out - liquid electrical tape.

Batt up the tx the night before, then plug in a B6 and paint the entire tx.  Leave no holes, and let it dry overnight.

Next day you can turn it on through the hardened liquid electrical tape, and it’s watertight all day.  Then you have to cut it off.

That said, I’d probably just rent an WM.