Boom Op Kits

Erob

Been doing some research and was wondering what people use when being a boom op (or give to their boom ops). Been talking with mine recently and we are trying to figure out how to make his kit better and more useful. Right now he just has a little pouch that we put some spare batteries and moleskin in so he can quickly fix loose lavs or replace a battery. 

Any input here would be much appreciated.  

I can only talk from my own experience. Some things that makes my life easier is some 3/4 gloves that I can make full length when needed. I like carrying some precut moleskin/kineseotape, double sided tape, stickies, a scissor, velcro. Oh and I like a wireless feed even when using a cabled boom as it makes the setuptime a bit quicker.

If the boom op is doing the wiring of talent then they should have a lav-bullet and the Remote lav-rod dingus with the correct connector for the lav mics in use, a few sorts of tape and maybe a spare vampire if you are using those.  A flashlight, an AC tester and some spare TX and Comtek batteries (supplied by me) should be close by, esp if the cart (and me) are at some distance from the action; the farther away the more gak they need with them.

Small pen flashlight, AA,AAA, transpore, moleskin, fresh sharp razor, small sharp scissors, spare TX, spare LAV, small pen form multi screwdriver, 7506’s, sunscreen, lip balm, sun hat, fingerless or two finger gloves, LAV bullet/rod, sharpie, pen, all carried in a hip pouch. 

extra credit-

spare comtek/IFB

label maker

spare TX ankle wrap

97D9087A-83B9-4199-92CB-547D85B30713.jpeg

A4E1C1F3-08D5-4C4E-8973-5FA9F9141D80.jpeg

All good suggestions.

I never go on a set without a Swiss Army knife. I prefer the "Rambler" model. It's very small, about the size of the "Classic," small enough to go on a keyring. The Rambler adds a bottle opener and a phillips screwdriver to the blades in the Classic.

When assisting a mixer, I would also carry a Leatherman or Gerber folding tool that incorporates portable pliers and wire cutting capability.

A boom operator should also have a black T-shirt or pullover available so as to avoid reflections or a distraction for the performer.

Breath mints are also a good addition to the kit.

Earplugs can be useful if the shoot has gunfire.

David

When I worked as a boom op I had a Zuca bag filled with stuff I could use. It also served as a stand for the boom so I could put it away at times. I wanted to be able to quickly mount extra mics, if needed, and different amounts of tape. Batteries, straps, lavs etc.

i also had a fanny pack or waist pack with small stuff. Mostly tape and a leatherman

Check out Allan Williams video on YouTube about what he has in his boom kit. It’s a great video.

Your kit changes based on what you are working on but there should always be some basics. 

Here’s some of the stuff I have in my kit:

Headphones of choice (I use custom IEMS and also carry a spare set)

Boompoles

Goggles

Facemask

Hats for sun and cold weather

rain gear, boots

cold weather gear if applicable

spare set of clothes

microphone mounts that I prefer for all types of microphones 

headlamp

i wear contacts so I have a

spare set and glasses

Custom boombox

the kit that I wear on my

person I have:

small scissors

flashlight

gerber multi tool

pen/sharpie

clips

misc lav expendables

lav bullet

small screwdriver set

spare batteries

i know I’m missing stuff but this should be a pretty good starting point

I think it's a good idea to have whatever you have on your person as something you can put on or take off easily. It really helps with changing clothes and taking breaks. It's also useful if you have to plant your main boom mic. I like to use a belt with pouches, I'll change the loadout depending on the demands of the show.

• 10 months later...

that video is fascinating but obviously not something a new comer like me could or should try to match so early on. i’m really curious to know what a boom op is expected to bring to set as part of their kit. i don’t want to make any assumptions (besides their own boom pole) so thought i should ask: what should an aspiring boom op’s shopping list look like?

7 hours ago, mikebarber said:

that video is fascinating but obviously not something a new comer like me could or should try to match so early on. i’m really curious to know what a boom op is expected to bring to set as part of their kit. i don’t want to make any assumptions (besides their own boom pole) so thought i should ask: what should an aspiring boom op’s shopping list look like?

Usually booms don't bring their own pole.  My boom ops use my poles, generally. 

I personally don’t require a boom op to bring anything but their own headphones. I supply the rest. That said, everyone has a different way of doing things, and I will never stand in the way of someone using their own techniques and supplies if that’s what they are comfortable using. I provide a variety of expendables and lav mounts, lav bullet, boom poles, tapes and stickies and etc. But there are all kinds of things available these days, so I’d say that if you were looking to put together a little kit, get yourself some moleskin, molefoam, some kind of furry overcover set, transpore, topstick, maybe some Joe’s sticky stuff, preferred lav mounts, a headlamp, lav bullet, and probably a boom box or chair with the ability to mount the boom to. K-Tek makes a little fanny pack that looks like a decent pouch to keep things in. I ordered some stuff from a Sound Hard and they sent me a complimentary fanny pack that is sort of the same thing, so i keep that stocked for my boom ops. 

But if you think you’ll need gloves, a bandana or sweat rag, multi tool, or any other such thing, it’s better to be prepared and not need it than to be empty handed when you do need something. 

I recently worked in a dusty warehouse where there was years of pigeon poo all over the place, so I bought anti bacterial medical masks for the whole crew. Now I have those in my kit too. 

11 hours ago, JonG said:

But if you think you’ll need gloves, a bandana or sweat rag, multi tool, or any other such thing, it’s better to be prepared and not need it than to be empty handed when you do need something. 

thanks for this, it's a big help! i agree, my credo is usually "better to have and not need than to need and not have."

11 hours ago, JonG said:

I recently worked in a dusty warehouse where there was years of pigeon poo all over the place, so I bought anti bacterial medical masks for the whole crew. Now I have those in my kit too.

yikes! now that's not something i would have thought to anticipate.