Lectrosonics vs Audio Limited

TomBoisseau

6 hours ago, chrismedr said:

you can on the non-US model.

in the USA it's still disabled due to patent issues.

Actually, the recording functionality on the USA model does work, IF you use it with 48v phantom power mics. Apparently the patent is in combination with lav mics (so bias voltage i guess). So technically one could use a phantom to bias converter to get around this... (would be funny to see a tiny microdot kinda converter for that 😁 ).

1 hour ago, Vincent R. said:

Actually, the recording functionality on the USA model does work, IF you use it with 48v phantom power mics.

That is my understanding as well. I do not claim to understand the patent reasoning, but that was what I was told.

33 minutes ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Vincent, this statement is incorrect: "Apparently the patent is in combination with lav mics"  ----  the Zaxcom patent regarding recording transmitters makes no mention of what sort of microphone is used. 

I don't know how it is phrased in the patent, but in practice it is like that : US version can record with phantom turned on/ can not record with bias mics.

https://audioltd.com/audio-limited-to-offer-recording-feature-on-u-s-a10-tx-wireless-transmitters/

2 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

I don't know how it is phrased in the patent, but in practice it is like that : US version can record with phantom turned on/ can not record with bias mics.

https://audioltd.com/audio-limited-to-offer-recording-feature-on-u-s-a10-tx-wireless-transmitters/

Vincent, you are correct that "in practice" the A10TX (US) operates as you describe, but that doesn't mean that it is free of infringement of the Zaxcom patent. I think we have to wait and see how this all plays out in the next few months. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Vincent, you are correct that "in practice" the A10TX (US) operates as you describe, but that doesn't mean that it is free of infringement of the Zaxcom patent. I think we have to wait and see how this all plays out in the next few months. 

I see what you mean. I made the assumption that by disabling a function, in this case lav mics (by the way, the a10 also records balanced and line level signals, not only phantom operated) they found a way to deal with it without infringement. otherwise why not go the full monty?

5 minutes ago, Vincent R. said:

I see what you mean. I made the assumption that by disabling a function, in this case lav mics (by the way, the a10 also records balanced and line level signals, not only phantom operated) they found a way to deal with it without infringement. otherwise why not go the full monty?

It is my understanding that Sound Devices did conclude that disabling the transmitter's record function for use with lav mics would allow it to record without infringing the patent  ----  I think that may have been a flawed conclusion which Sound Devices decided to go with anyway. I'm fairly sure Zaxcom and Sound Devices have been discussing this but I don't think any of us are in a position to know exactly the state of things at this time.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Wexler said:

I'm fairly sure Zaxcom and Sound Devices have been discussing this but I don't think any of us are in a position to know exactly the state of things at this time.

That's true. The only exact state we know is that at this time it is working, and products are being sold today (in the US). Sans lav recording though...