Jump to content
TomBoisseau

Lectrosonics vs Audio Limited

Recommended Posts

 

I will likely be purchasing 8 channels of wireless in the near future.  I've always been a Lectrosonics guy and currently have 6 SMV's and 3 SRb's all on block 26.  I don't want to try to "re-block" what I have, and so I see this as a good time to purchase something new.

 

I've been quite happy with the Lectrosonics products and support but, being that I use Sound Devices recorders and that Sound Devices now owns Audio Limited, I wonder if I should consider Audio Limited and what the pros and cons there might be.  Perhaps my biggest reason for considering Audio Limited is the concern that Sound Devices might give priority to Audio Limited products in the future with special features and programming built into the firmware of their mixers that might not be available for Lectrosonic products.

 

I assume my Lectrosonics "OctoPack" should work with either the Sound Devices or Audio Limited "shot in" products?  How is the support here in the US for Audio Limited products?

 

Any thoughts and insights into this subject would be appreciated.

 

Thanks,

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well now that sound devices is distribution in the US and they have been great for support of their audio equipment. I imagine the support for the wireless will be the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main concern about A10, is the size of transmitter. Otherwise is a complete system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, VAS said:

My main concern about A10, is the size of transmitter. Otherwise is a complete system.

 

Ah!  Very good point.  For some reason that never crossed my mind.  I'm not sure that would be a deal breaker, but it is certainly something to consider.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would be very surprised if sound devices lessened support for other manufacturers wireless, but it would make sense that there will eventually be better integration  between the two systems. though currently, i can adjust very little via the 688 / SL6 with my A10's. much less than i believe you can with wisy and lectro receivers.

but they do sound great. dynamic range has been very good - i was recording scenes last week that went from quiet dialogue to a shout in the same sentence and they were fantastic on my normal gain settings (40dB with a DPA4018 on the boom, 22dB with a DPA4061) gain at -4dB on the 688.

transmitter size hasn't been an issue for me so far. but perhaps ive been lucky. but a smaller transmitter is inevitable. i just hope its this side of 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I like about A10-RACK is the support of other wireless receiver brands.

 

The switch between a shotgun to a lavalier in A10 Tx without damaging the electronics is a huge plus.

 

When a transmitter acting for both case senario (boom or lavalier use) without the need of extra investment on plug-on is welcome (since we are talking a $$.$$$ investement).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like you’re open to the idea of switching brands. Is there a reason you’re limiting your options to just two brands? We’re lucky enough to have a lot of different choices so that you can pick the device with the best set of features for the exact type of work you do. Whether your priorities are size, cost, versatility, digital vs analog, or whatever, I’d encourage you to visit your nearest dealer and get hands on products from as many brands as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom people have told you about dynamic range about compatibility about the wish list of wireless transmitters, the best transmitters are made by Zaxcom. You sound like you want something for your career not to just get buy. It wasn’t long ago I used Zaxnet to re- mix the transmitters (4 units I think) so the mix was perfect for post and dailies. You can’t do this with any other transmitter, Zaxcom with neverclip is so good it actually makes you a bit lazy when the actor is whispering then screaming you can always turn down the transmitter gain with Zaxnet but anymore almost no one can yell louder than the dynamic range of Zaxcom transmitters with neverclip. Not to mention they are really small actors will love you for using them, not to mention the RX12 gives you 12 channels of audio in a package that will pick perfect frequencies with a Zaxcom recorder. All this to say there is no competition because of the dynamic range reliability and great guys who will always listen to your ideas about refining the transmitters with software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Donovan Dear said.  Lectros are great, but they are older analog technology.  Audio Ltd has always made great gear, but their new digital radios are first generation.  Zazcom has been making digital radios since 2002.  Their technology is 16 years ahead of the competition.  They are on their 5th or 6th generation.  You should definitely take a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigmaho said:

but their new digital radios are first generation

Second generation. the first one was the a1010. introduced 3 years ago at IBC 2015.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Donavan said:

Tom people have told you about dynamic range about compatibility about the wish list of wireless transmitters, the best transmitters are made by Zaxcom. You sound like you want something for your career not to just get buy. It wasn’t long ago I used Zaxnet to re- mix the transmitters (4 units I think) so the mix was perfect for post and dailies. You can’t do this with any other transmitter, Zaxcom with neverclip is so good it actually makes you a bit lazy when the actor is whispering then screaming you can always turn down the transmitter gain with Zaxnet but anymore almost no one can yell louder than the dynamic range of Zaxcom transmitters with neverclip. Not to mention they are really small actors will love you for using them, not to mention the RX12 gives you 12 channels of audio in a package that will pick perfect frequencies with a Zaxcom recorder. All this to say there is no competition because of the dynamic range reliability and great guys who will always listen to your ideas about refining the transmitters with software.

 

I'd be more than happy to go with Zaxcom and, yes, they do have a number of additional features that I would really like to have such as encryption and a built in recorder.  The only serious objection I have is that I don't believe they offer a true discrete 2 channel "Super-Slot" receiver.  Do they?  Right now with my current configuration using Sound Devices recorders, and the need to frequently pull the receivers out of my bag and repurpose them for live sound events and webcasts, the "Super-Slot" issue (believe it or not) is probably a higher priority.

 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with both Bill and Donavan, there is nothing to compare with the Zaxcom wireless series.  Besides sounding great and actors loving them because of their size the ability to either take the audio from the internal recording card or re-record multiple transmitters while still attached to the actors is just a no-brainer. The best to minimize the auction of the spectrum, hands down!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I've been working a lot in reflective environments lately (prisons), allow me to add a layer to the Zaxcom wireless plusses: an algorithm designed to deal specifically with RF reflections. While on the subject, there's also an algorithm that narrows each TRX's RF footprint allowing more TRX's per inch of bandwidth. I originally bought into the system for its future proof nature and continue to invest for the same reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2018 at 1:37 AM, Jan McL said:

Since I've been working a lot in reflective environments lately (prisons), allow me to add a layer to the Zaxcom wireless plusses: an algorithm designed to deal specifically with RF reflections. While on the subject, there's also an algorithm that narrows each TRX's RF footprint allowing more TRX's per inch of bandwidth. I originally bought into the system for its future proof nature and continue to invest for the same reason.

 

Funny you should mention this. I’ve have both Lectros and Zaxcom’s, and one area where I have had issues with the Zaxcom’s was in highly reflective environments. While the ZHD did help a bit, my lectros dis seem to perform better with reflections and phase cancellations. 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PalmerT said:

 

Funny you should mention this. I’ve have both Lectros and Zaxcom’s, and one area where I have had issues with the Zaxcom’s was in highly reflective environments. While the ZHD did help a bit, my lectros dis seem to perform better with reflections and phase cancellations. 🤷‍♂️

 

Which specific transmission mode were you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No chance to test Zaxcom here in NOLA but did test A10 last summer and did not have a positive experience. Chain Link fence and metal building with corrugated metal killed the signal. Tried all power settings and because of how house and set was there were no options. Threw my Micron back on boom.. Zero issue. Would really like to see how this Zaxcom setting works with these obstacles.. Lot of those shotgun style houses down here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would be happy to get you a Demo. With our modulations you will have no issues with Chain link fences or any other metal  that reflects the signal.

 

Glenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 4:51 PM, John Blankenship said:

 

Which specific transmission mode were you using?

Tested out ZHD 48, 96, and XR with 48 having best results but delay is greater. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we’re still on the original topic, then I can attest to the A10’s resistant to moisture. I’ve had them on many a sweaty actor over the summer, and they’ve come back to us literally dripping wet. We’ve had zero issues regarding moisture.

If we’re now discussing the other systems, I can’t comment.

 

Regards,

Moe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2018 at 5:10 PM, TomBoisseau said:

I'd be more than happy to go with Zaxcom and, yes, they do have a number of additional features that I would really like to have such as encryption and a built in recorder. 

The A10-tx has a built in recorder with timecode. I have not yet used it, but my understanding is that one can use both simultaneously.

 

On 10/16/2018 at 5:10 PM, TomBoisseau said:

Right now with my current configuration using Sound Devices recorders, and the need to frequently pull the receivers out of my bag and repurpose them for live sound events and webcasts, the "Super-Slot" issue (believe it or not) is probably a higher priority.

 

I just did this last weekend and it was great. We were shooting a concert, and there were a few mics to which we could not get cables. I pulled the A10-RXs out of the SL6, attached the XLR adapter and fed it right into the ProTools rig. On the A10-TX, I used a lemo 3pin to XLR and was able to provide phantom power to the mic. They were a bit hard to reach where they were mounted so controlling them via Bluetooth worked out well. Having the full 20Hz to 20KHz range was really nice. It was also great being able to switch between lavs and XLRs for the A10-tx transmitters. 

 

Overall, I have been really happy with my choice of the A10 system with my 688.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×