Tascam HD-P2 timecode - jam-sync from MixPre 10T?

Dave

Hi All,

I've hung on to my old Tascam HD-P2 as a backup machine rather than retire it completely. I am going to try jam-syncing it to a MixPre 10T. Any tips re: engaging HD-P2 timecode function? Can I just jam, untether and have HD-P2 hold decent sync for a reasonable time?

As always, thanks kindly for your thoughts.

All the best,

Dave

I don't know how long the Tascam HD-P2 would hold for, but I wouldn't ever want to bet on it. 

As the Tascam HD-P2 lacks an internal TC generator, so you're better off keeping it always attached to an external timecode source. A Tentacle Sync E or an Ultrasync ONE is a cheap way to do it, if you want to detach from the 10T

The HDP2 does have an internal TC generator, but it isn't referencing an accurate clock.  You can jam the TC to the MixPre but it won't hold sync for long if you unplug the TC--it is much better to use an external accurate TC gen (I used to keep a Denecke SB2 hooked up to it all the time, or take ext TC from a video camera) all the time.  The process is kind of convoluted in the HDP2 but it does work--I did a great deal of TC sync work with mine back in the day.  Also--you can also sync the HDP2 to external word clock or even tri-level sync.

Thanks kindly guys. Nice to know this is possible. The MixPre does have word clock - any advantage of this over standard timecode?  Nonetheless, I'll hook up the machines and see how I fare. I thought if I was stationary and not working out of the bag, I might run the HD-P2 as a backup linked to the MixPre.... may be overkill, but just curious to see if the hookup functions.

Appreciate all your help.

Cheers,

Dave

4 hours ago, Dave said:

The MixPre does have word clock - any advantage of this over standard timecode? 

They're two different things

5 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

The HDP2 does have an internal TC generator, but it isn't referencing an accurate clock.  You can jam the TC to the MixPre but it won't hold sync for long if you unplug the TC--it is much better to use an external accurate TC gen (I used to keep a Denecke SB2 hooked up to it all the time, or take ext TC from a video camera) all the time.

That is indeed what I mean when I say it doesn't have an internal timecode generator, as one which say is used for telling time of day, and isn't even remotely accurate timecode is hardly a timecode generator in my books!

The clock in an HDP2 is the sort of clock you find in cheap modern digital mixers, computer interfaces etc.   Which is to say that it's ok for some things but won't hold frame accurate sync for the length of time we're used to getting from more expensive gear, is comparable to the clock in a DR680 or a shaver-style Zoom etc.  Lots of people got away with it back in the day when there were many fewer alternatives in file based recorders. 

Actually, there's a very elegant method to setup both timecode and sync between the MixPre10 and an HDP2.

First, feed continuous timecode from the MixPre10 to the HDP2. In the HDP2 timecode menu, set Freewheel to "infinite".  As I recall, this is both the jam sync method and you can leave the external timecode connected and the HDP2 will continually be in external TC mode. 

Next, in the HDP2 timecode menu, set Clock Source to "LTC".  The HDP2 then locks it's internal Wordclock generator to the incoming timecode rate. This assumes the timecode rates are matching on both machines. Check out page 21 of the HDP2 manual.

I don't know of another audio recorder that had or has this feature. It's somewhat similar to Arri Mini's and Amiras ability to use external timecode as the sensor sync source.