3D Printing

Nick Ray Harris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The little ridge to catch the G3 clip is a nice touch.

Here are two pieces that I'm sure at least started out as 3D printing projects (bought from Wilkinson Sound).  On the left is a virtually weightless ORTF stereo bar for SDCs, and on the right a solution to the perennial Senn. MD421 mic clip issue (their part is the little tube + flat piece that is bolted into the mic body). 

IMG_6167.jpgIMG_6170.jpg

10 hours ago, drpro said:

Allen I just got the MP IIIP mini printer.  Learning and having fun.  Would you be willing to share your printer mods?

Thanks

David

It might be easier to list what hasn't been modded:

IMG_20181112_163850.jpg

• Filament spool holder
  • Relocated extruder motor, added heatsinks
  • Installed metal extruder
  • Lifted Z tower 25mm
  • Installed Z stepper motor with integrated shaft
  • Installed E3dv6 Lite hotend with dual cooling fans
  • Built custom heated printbed with glass print surface; print volume is now 125x240x160mm, stock is 120mm cube
  • Relocated Z limit switch to adjustable post
  • Rerouted heated bed wiring out of the side of the case
  • Lifted top of printer base 20mm
  • Added internal PSU for heated bed; stock PSU runs controller, motors and hotend
  • Raspberry Pi 3 running Octoprint mounted to the back for control
  • Webcam for remote print monitoring
  • Strip of multicolor LEDs on side of Z tower controlled by Octoprint for increased visibility and print status

A great place to start is https://www.mpselectmini.com/start, most of the mods I did are found at https://www.mpselectmini.com/thingiverse/start.

Good grief Allen, that is awesome.  I have been spending hours learning about 3D printing and printing quite a few mistakes!!  Learning to use the software is my weak spot.  I have been using Tinkercad and slicing with Cura.  

Any other suggestions from you?  I am already lusting after a larger printer.

Thanks

David

• 1 year later...

Yes. It's half a dashboard as it only holds the receiver but it works very well. I am working on another dashboard which would be attached to recorder.

It has been printed with PETG. V1 was PLA and didn't like the heat : it bent over time. But I live in Africa.

IMG_20191119_150803.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/26/2018 at 6:08 AM, Andrew From Deity said:

https://wavreport.com/2018/05/31/3d-printing-for-location-sound-database/

The guys over at WavReport put out a mega article that list out all the audio gear you and 3D print.

The 3D printer world moves fast! After a couple of years it would be good to see an update of what's new?

On 1/9/2020 at 12:05 AM, nicoproson said:

I just printed a dashboard. I still have a margin for improvment but I'm pretty happy with the result. 

Nifty! Could you please share the file?

• 4 months later...
On 1/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, nicoproson said:

I just printed a dashboard. I still have a margin for improvment but I'm pretty happy with the result. 

IMG_20200108_100305.jpg

Wow, nice. Could you share the file? I could try to edit it for two receivers with thicker design for smaller bags.