Plug on choosing issue

yizhye20

Hello everyone

I recently received two Sennheiser SKP 100 G3 Plug-on Transmitters. Just noticed that it does not come with Phantom Power. So just wondering if there is any boom pole comes with a phantom power. I got a Denecke PS-1A for right now but it is not easy to carry around. 

So, what should I do? I think for 3 solutions but not sure which one will be better.

1) Found a shotgun mic can put a battery inside. Like an NTG 4+ or an MKE 600. I got a CMIT 5U already so it might be a downgrade to me

2) get a Sennheiser ew 500 Film G4 plug on  kit so that I don't have to worry about the power issue

3) There is another solution is the Lectrosonics 100 Series Wireless UHF Plug-in. I don't see much pricing difference between this kit and the ew500, but sounds like Lectrosonics have a better reputation? 

Thank you for your help

1 hour ago, yizhye20 said:

2) get a Sennheiser ew 500 Film G4 plug on  kit so that I don't have to worry about the power issue

3) There is another solution is the Lectrosonics 100 Series Wireless UHF Plug-in. I don't see much pricing difference between this kit and the ew500, but sounds like Lectrosonics have a better reputation?

Your boom is the most important audio of all. Why compromise?

But if you are going to compromise and use wireless, at least limit just how far you're compromising! Don't settle for less than a Lectrosonics UH200, they're dirt cheap on eBay after all. Even a Lectrosonics UH400 or Lectrosonics HM are reasonably affordable, and should be considered. 

Personally I am going a step further, and my boom op is using a Sound Devices MP-1 they're wearing on their hip (using the Orca waist harness, he finds it quite comfortable). 

I think I'd save the TXs for something else.  The G3 is perfectly good for it's price point (I have a couple for a particular job), but it isn't really suitable for a boom (IMO).  Keep them handy for the odd occasion you'll be asked to provide a radio stick mic or something.

But if you insist, you could power the mic with this - http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/ambient-ump-ii-universal-mic-power-supply.html

2 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

Upgrade to Lectrosonics/zaxcom/Audio Ltd. etc. or get the ambient phantom power supply. Really light and pretty small. I use it on the mic end of the pole and don’t find it too heavy.

I cannot imagine going from a CMIT to a shitty battery powered mic. Bad idea.

got it. I am now looking at Lectrosonics

7 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

With a nice mic like that upgrade to a zaxcom or a Lectrosonics offering

I believe the cheap Lectrosonics have an indeed entrance level receiver. I am not really into Lectrosonics. So it seems like the transmitter for different pricing package has the same transmitter (Lectrosonics HMa). would that means I might purchase a cheaper set with the HMa and upgrade to a better receiver when I need it?

Thank you

1 hour ago, Lancashire soundie said:

I think I'd save the TXs for something else.  The G3 is perfectly good for it's price point (I have a couple for a particular job), but it isn't really suitable for a boom (IMO).  Keep them handy for the odd occasion you'll be asked to provide a radio stick mic or something.

But if you insist, you could power the mic with this - http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/ambient-ump-ii-universal-mic-power-supply.html

that looks like a good idea

On 10/24/2018 at 11:49 AM, newzhack said:

I have a SKP3000 that is the best transmitter I have ever owned. All day on two AA's supplying phantom. 

I was looking at it. The price is being super reasonable 

21 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

Use a cable if you can, best audio by far and cheapest solution. Cheapest wireless that will be adequate for use with a Schoeps microphone: Used Lectro LMa or UM400 with UCR411 or LM/LR, and Kortwich VCP-10 for phantom. Don't go below that quality-wise.

I am looking at the LMA, but to my small knowledge of the lectro kit, It comes with a different receiver. Not too sure if I may upgrade the receiver later

7 hours ago, yizhye20 said:

I am looking at the LMA, but to my small knowledge of the lectro kit, It comes with a different receiver. Not too sure if I may upgrade the receiver later

You don't have to buy any Lectrosonics transmitter with a receiver as well at the same time.