Help with Comtek PR-216 vs PR-216 CH5/6

osa

I was curious if someone here can help me clarify how to tell the difference between these 2x models of comtek receivers. I bought a PR216 receiver from someone recently. it worked perfect with my option7 216 transmitter. suddenly he had more for sale. i bought 3 more. today i tested them and realized right away these 3x in question are the ch 5/6 versions that operate in the 80ish mHz vs the 216mHz. i have done tons of research on this subject and comtek seems to be very unclear on how to show the difference in model numbers between these models that look exactly the same other than the tiny 5/6 switch and labeling that is very hard to see in photos. it is also somewhat misleading for sellers whom may not understand exactly what they are selling. i want to return these to the seller but also help educate them on why they are not as advertised so they can resell with the correct listing info to the appropriate buyer - i.e. someone with the 5/6ch transmitter.

-Ken

thanks john - wow this goes deeper. but your info does help me visually see the difference now. i have PR216 black with the red around the knob but i also have the light beige/light gray PR216's that have blue around the knob - all of which are 216mHz range. the 5/6 ones i just received are dark gray cases with blue around the knobs. the seller sold these to me as if these were the same as the one i bought previous. very hard to tell case color difference in photos as well as read "TV-5 and TV-6" labeling. i am going to call keith at comtek shortly. what i cant understand is how are these both PR-216 models with no model differentiation and not like "PR-216" is 216 mhz (which makes sense) and "PR-216-56" is 85ish mhz (which would make more sense?) that ultimately is what i am trying to clarify for the seller why i am returning and how they should clarify to end buyer when relisting for sale

-Ken

I ran into a similar situation, which is how I learned about the dial differentiation.  I've also run across units with the wrong color which someone other than the factory probably did.  It's also possible that early in the case color changeover Comtek hadn't settled on their standardized dial colors yet.

Similarly, I thought I had scored a great deal on a Base Station on eBay - it had the face plate that said "216 MHz". When it arrived and I switched it on, turned out it was a TV5/6 unit. At some point, the face plate had been swapped/replaced by someone. In this case, the seller accepted a return for a full refund.

I agree a lot of Comtek eBay listings seem to be from people who don't really know anything much about them. Maybe try to contact your seller and see if they would accept a return (Most sellers really like good feedback).

In case anyone else runs into this - The comtek on the left is a pr-216 216mHz receiver. The one on the right is a pr-216 ch5/6 85mHz receiver.  The differences are very subtle and only a picture like this would help you identify that clearly being able to see the switch and the tv ch 5/6 label information. It is easy to see they are both called "pr-216" in terms of comtek model numbers, and a seller not well educated in comtek products could easily overlook this factor as in my case. I believe I will be able to get a full refund.  I still would like to call comtek directly per the earlier suggestion and get to the bottom of what their logic is behind this product naming.  Clearly I am missing something. 

1540499977073195303688632756922.jpg

Interesting update from keith, who by the way is indeed the man at comtek. The pr-216 confusion all comes down to the fcc. He said that with Comtek being a smaller company keeping the same labeling allowed them to maintain compliance to some degree. The proper way to signify these tv5/6 units when reselling is "pr-216/76-88" which  Unfortunately in my case the seller did not do and I was misled. I am in the process of getting a refund.  But I can't win - just bought a another used PR216 that visually checked out. but when I received it and ran tests, it failed with 3 different transmitters. According to keith at comtek it was indeed a 216 MHz receiver based on serial but had been serviced before and its symptoms were requiring a need of more service. High pitch whine no latch on tx etc.  Now I need to try to return this one for a refund. Thats it. No more buying used comteks for me unless here on jw. 

Used Comtek buyers beware it is rough outside these jw walls

-Ken