Allen Rowand

USB power a Sound Devices 302?

I'm thinking about picking up a 302 as a utility mixer. The external power will work on 5v, would it be feasible to build a USB to Hirose cable to power it? Could be a good way to power it until I step up to a BDS, as well as an option for use out of the bag. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Derek H said:

It will run a looong time on lithium AAs... 

I’m not a fan of fiddly USB power cables. 

Any brand recommendations? I've heard stories of how batteries like to get stuck in the tube.

There are more than a few reports of rechargeable AAs getting stuck in the tube. I use regular alkalines, (which last quite a while) when external pwr. is not an option. I have not tried making a USB to Hirose adapter cable, which may work, but that's at the bottom of the 302's 5-18 volt range.

1 hour ago, Rick Reineke said:

I have not tried making a USB to Hirose adapter cable, which may work, but that's at the bottom of the 302's 5-18 volt range.

That's a good point about the voltage, Rick. Maybe I'd be better off with something like a Sony NP sled- I have a bunch of batteries for the MP6 and my camera, and the 7.2v gives me a little more leeway.

10 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

That's a good point about the voltage, Rick. Maybe I'd be better off with something like a Sony NP sled- I have a bunch of batteries for the MP6 and my camera, and the 7.2v gives me a little more leeway.

seems like a better idea to me. even the smallest form factor (2000mAh) should give you a very long run time.

for what it's worth, I'm using using white eneloops (sanyo generation) in my 302 and never had any problems