Where is the Senator?

RadoStefanov

19 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

LOTD

seriously - still laughing.

Oh....err, I read on the internet that a senny shotgun from B&H is the best mic for features, because it is super directional and therefore eliminates reverberations and other unwanted noises and only records the voice that you want from the person that you point it at.... Has anyone used it?

Yes

56 minutes ago, JBond said:

Most comments said he did well in this interview. He has much respect with most people.

Agreed. I think this forum is missing something without him. Some people just didn't seem to get his humor, and got their feelings hurt when he pointed out that some of their questions were not on point... or had been asked before, with a 5-page discussion full of valuable info readily available.... or in the spirit of "please do my homework for me" - some times even without the "please".

On 2/16/2019 at 3:14 AM, Johnny Karlsson said:

Agreed. I think this forum is missing something without him. Some people just didn't seem to get his humor, and got their feelings hurt when he pointed out that some of their questions were not on point... or had been asked before, with a 5-page discussion full of valuable info readily available.... or in the spirit of "please do my homework for me" - some times even without the "please".

Agree! This is why i have no pleasure browsing facebook “pro audio” groups most of the time. So many entitled, ignorant attitudes , they didn’t even care to read the manual, etc...

Senator Mike was vocal on that issues, and he along with some other guys here brought this forum to the level of expertise we all enjoy, and should cultivate. 

On 2/16/2019 at 1:14 PM, Johnny Karlsson said:

Agreed. I think this forum is missing something without him. Some people just didn't seem to get his humor, and got their feelings hurt when he pointed out that some of their questions were not on point...

I remember being on the receiving end of this.

I was pissed. 

Then I realised in the way I had asked my question I already knew the answer, I just didn't realise it at the time of asking. Made me really think before asking a question and appreciate when I truely didn't know the answer and someone here could help. 

Since nothing else worked, Its clear everyone now is reduced to goading the Senator to make his Iconic answer  “It depends” that's because people now realize the answer always made sense. I'll bet two words will get 3 pages of welcome back.👍

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 8:09 PM, JBond said:

Most comments said he did well in this interview. He has much respect with most people.

Just listened to the entire interview. I like the sound bubble analogy, so true and a great way to explain mic placement to someone who doesn't record sound for a living. Definitely puts the Senator into perspective. I would have enjoyed him as a teacher, back in college. 

What I get out of this video when I watch it. 
 I think back when I was in school there was always a teacher just like him, I’ll bet you can even name one or two. I can, Dutton and Lewinski come to mind.
The Senator is very into what he’s talking about.  He doesn't just talk, he explains, and in his way of explaining he always sets up the scene in a series of little bits of information in a way that is very easy to understand the outcome. He just doesn't come out and say the answer and move on.  There is no, what do you mean? or I don't understand after he says something. 

I don't know how long he taught but anyone can see he is very good at it and is a no-nonsense type of teacher.  I can picture he acts the same way in the classroom as on the forum when someone asks a question. I can see him firing away at that student with a number of questions.  I can also see how he brought this way of teaching to the forum, not on purpose it's just the way he communicates as a teacher.  You ask anywhere near a  stupid question in Dutton's class he would work on you till you said the correct answer to the question you asked. 

I think it would be a much different encounter in person one on one or in a classroom with the Senator.  With him helping someone to understand and I'll bet he would ask you a series of questions (set up the scene) needed for you to come up with the answer on your own.  Just like any good teacher would,  they just don't give you the answer.  They make you stop and think and work for it.

On the forum.  Answering  In a series of 2 sentence posts may come off snappy and not like he's trying to help you but he may believe he really is.
He just won't say the answer right off the bat just like he did in this video he sets up (the scene) before giving any answers, that is the way he does it.
He did that in everything he said in the video on every subject he talked about.

On the forum, there is no time to run the series of questions post by post as if you asked in real time (if that makes any sense )  In a post,  its a lot harder to do for someone who asks a question and has no patience for the answer.
Completely understandable on both ends,  but that may be just the way it is...

• 4 weeks later...

BTW, as an update, I delivered the "Get Well" card that dozens of attendees signed at the RAMPS/JWSound dinner at NAB a few weeks ago. (And thanks again to Michael Carmona for arranging that.) The Senator was very pleased and touched by the sentiments. He's still going through some health challenges but is getting regular care and is getting around on his own to a degree. I've encouraged him to consider commenting on JWSound directly and will continue to do so.