Fellow Sound mixer.. hard to watch

Richard Ragon

This show has been going on for about 30 years.  In that time, there have been several incidents.  Once before a camera guy started CPR on someone once, and the sound mixer picked up the camera and filmed it!

I've been on some crazy LA shots, but I don't think I'd be doing that one!

I'm really sorry for the families that have been fighting to get this video released, and saddened by the loss of a brother in the field...

• 3 months later...

There was also a high speed car accident a few years ago. The officer was racing to a call and I guess another car didn’t yield to them? I don’t remember the exact details. The camera op and sound mixer were hurt pretty badly. 

Just know what you’re signing up for if you choose to work on a show like that. 

😥 Very sad. This kind of film-making should be banned you put crew at risk and often the presence of cameras are antagonising. What might have been a peaceful situation can often turn bad just because people feel like their boss might see the show and think they are a felon without any other details present. Sometimes the producers even like to try and play up the action a bit by getting the police to be more dramatic and confrontational in simple traffic stops etc and this is how it can end up. Not good for just law enforcement or for the film-makers only good for the pockets of the producers and the heads of the police force who are paid to facilitate the programme.

The joys of America's 2nd Amendment.  Police running around not sure who packing guns or not. Horrible things like this are not too unusual. Sad.

I've done ride alongs with police many years ago. Chasing armed assailants and been shot at and pressed up against a building as shots were going out of the window next to me.  Shots, adrenaline, mayhem, radio frenzy.  About the worst scenario possible for something productive to happen.

Stay away folks. There's other work to do.

Hopefully.

• 3 months later...

I did three years full time of Real Stories of the Highway patrol in the 90's. Thinking about dying at the entry way of a Wendy's is just beyond description. What a sad way to leave this planet. Those shoots are bizarre at the least. Up to 40 stops or calls a night is very stressful. I still have visions of a trooper looking up from giving a dying man CPR with blood all over his face. Some of many images that I still carry and yes those images create a world view that most of my family and friends don't understand.