Does Lectro UH200C TX provides 48V?

Koca

Hello all, long time reader here. I purchased a used UH200C plug on transmitter and i can not get it to work with condenser mics. In the manual it says it does provides phantom power and that`s it. There is no switch nor does it say if it`s 12V or 48, nothing. I managed to get signal with it using battery powered electret mic. 
Did anyone used this or have any knowledge about it? 
Thanks
Koca

1 hour ago, Koca said:

Hello all, long time reader here. I purchased a used UH200C plug on transmitter and i can not get it to work with condenser mics. In the manual it says it does provides phantom power and that`s it. There is no switch nor does it say if it`s 12V or 48, nothing. I managed to get signal with it using battery powered electret mic. 
Did anyone used this or have any knowledge about it? 
Thanks
Koca

Hi Koca,

You probably have already gone to  Lectrosonics.com>  support>  legacy products>  transmitters>  UH200C. If not, in the schematic there, you will see that the UH200C provides 5 Volts for lavaliere mics but not 48 (42) Volts for larger condenser mics.

That unit was back in the day of news crews using the unit with the ubiquitous omni EV 635 mics, a extremely rugged dynamic omni mic also know as “The Buchanan Hammer” (EV was based in Buchanan, Michigan). The apocryphal story was that the salesmen would demonstrate the mic by using it to drive nails into wood. For this universal application (as a mic, not a hammer), 48 Volts was not necessary or wanted. Lectro units that provide 48 Volts have a switch to select between 3 voltages, 5, 15 and 48. No switch, no 48 Volts.

In short, the UH200C will not provide 48 Volts.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

11 hours ago, LarryF said:

Hi Koca,

You probably have already gone to  Lectrosonics.com>  support>  legacy products>  transmitters>  UH200C. If not, in the schematic there, you will see that the UH200C provides 5 Volts for lavaliere mics but not 48 (42) Volts for larger condenser mics.

That unit was back in the day of news crews using the unit with the ubiquitous omni EV 635 mics, a extremely rugged dynamic omni mic also know as “The Buchanan Hammer” (EV was based in Buchanan, Michigan). The apocryphal story was that the salesmen would demonstrate the mic by using it to drive nails into wood. For this universal application (as a mic, not a hammer), 48 Volts was not necessary or wanted. Lectro units that provide 48 Volts have a switch to select between 3 voltages, 5, 15 and 48. No switch, no 48 Volts.

In short, the UH200C will not provide 48 Volts.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Hi Larry.

I also own an UH200 which I currently use with hand-held dynamic microphone.

I know this transmitter provide 5V power for lavalier microphones. Could you kindly tell me how should I wire the Sanken cos-11d microphone to match UH200?

Thank you. 

George 

13 hours ago, Bloomdidogoe said:

Hi Larry.

I also own an UH200 which I currently use with hand-held dynamic microphone.

I know this transmitter provide 5V power for lavalier microphones. Could you kindly tell me how should I wire the Sanken cos-11d microphone to match UH200?

Thank you. 

George 

Hi George,

In the male XLR, tie the black wire of the COS-11 (bias) to pin 2. Connect both one end of a 1k resistor (a physically small one is easiest) and the shield to pin 1. The other end of the 1k is connected to the white wire (audio). This causes the black wire to carry the audio into pin 2 of the XLR and UH200.  Pin 3 of the XLR is left unconnected.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

14 hours ago, LarryF said:

Hi George,

In the male XLR, tie the black wire of the COS-11 (bias) to pin 2. Connect both one end of a 1k resistor (a physically small one is easiest) and the shield to pin 1. The other end of the 1k is connected to the white wire (audio). This causes the black wire to carry the audio into pin 2 of the XLR and UH200.  Pin 3 of the XLR is left unconnected.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Thank you for the information Larry.

George