Audio Interface for Women

John Blankenship

image.png

Believe it or not, what she's holding is “an audio interface specially for females.”  You see the concept is: “With the growing demands of audio quality, audio interface is no longer a formidable device. Products’ characteristic becomes more important.”

Just what the sound community has been waiting for -- an audio interface that doesn't intimidate women!  I can't wait for the first on-set review of this ground breaking device.  Perhaps a few choice comments to the manufacturer about how this advances the position of women in the world of location sound.  Jan?

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/pro-sound-news-blog/audio-interface-for-females-draws-outrage-midiplus-interface-sexism-women-in-audio-pro-sound

I was stymied as to which category to post this in since we don't have either a "LET'S PRETEND IT'S APRIL FIRST" heading, or a special "THE WORLD MOVES BACKWARDS" section. 

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, borjam said:

Now, seriously. Is it me or women are much better represented in the sound department than in the camera dept?

Just curious. 

Not in my experience.  I've known more female DPs and ACs than mixers and boom ops.  Always happy to see women in any of those roles as the set just feels like a nicer place. 

6 hours ago, borjam said:

Now, seriously. Is it me or women are much better represented in the sound department than in the camera dept?

Just curious. 

Not sure I would say " better represented" considering the percentage of the females walking around this earth verses what I see daily on sets in NYC. I think we have a long way to go before we can take any sort of moral equality victory lap on this one in the sound department. 

"considering the percentage" ... well it might be a while before any average manifests itself, 

but I'm pleased to have worked in a general area (editorial and sound - and music) where I've felt women have had a significant presence throughout my career, and am pleased to have several great friends, admired peers and respected 'more experienced' folks amongst the bunch

but to defend borjam, in my experience at least, I've grown up in post with maybe more women around than I have seen (excluding make-up, costume, and indeed production) on set. Difficult thing to really argue: things do change, maybe not fast enough for statistics but if we're not all dickheads hopefully our craft will develop in an open fashion. Looking over the entire history of our craft I think we've been more open than most. (That took a little longer to write than I expected: I changed my word metier to craft ... yeah it is a tricky subject, one worth not avoiding).

Jez

Yep I agree with most sentiments above

Firstly we have great women in sound and remarkable women AC's here in NZ

On the other hand some skill areas do not attract woman - grips and lighting

Make-up wardrobe, hair and art department yes.

We all navigate to what suits us for many reasons!

mike

• 4 weeks later...

Not about a skill area suiting women but more about how concepts of what men and women do are entrenched by surrounding human culture and how that makes one behave and believe about oneself to fit in with being a man or a woman. 

Even within those areas people act and change their behaviours to fit in - talk in certain ways, try hard to look knowledgeable and confident, have a fixed idea of how it is to be "professional" etc. - and so will again attract (or more like, make others feel they don't fit in) a narrow personality type. It's even funnier when you see folks in the same industry all practically wearing the same clothes, same colours, driving the same cars..  I see that all the time in the film industry - chippies, lighting, camera, sound all look the same in general. 

What does an industry look like that is open to all people and equally to each gender? Looks like a wide mix of individuals and personalities. 

I see men joining industries because they enjoy the male dominated culture. It attracts a certain kind of man who wants to join a male dominated club. So in many ways, it's the opposite happening - they push away women by being attractive to a certain kind of male company loving men - a positive feedback loop. That's the kind of image that pushes me away too as a man - I hate that kind of environment. I'll stay a hobbyist or go into a creative area instead. 

This sound device is a joke though. Their other products are also jokey products like a guitar looking like a tuning fork. 

Media see a joke out of context and make out it was serious.