tc logging spreadsheet

johngooch

I havent used this feature on the mp6, but the Q take function is supposed to mark cues in your file. I think this function is more for the music crowd but could be useful in your case.

Was on a doc with the mix pre 6 and I'd just eyeball the tc and put that into the sound report writer app with notes when necessary. I think there has been an update with the sound report writer app where it can read tc from tentacle boxes. Worth looking into!

you are looking for an app called Logster (be careful, there are several of that name that do ther things). While there are quite a few "timecode logging" apps, most of them only use the iPad's internal clock. Logster can read TC coming in the headset jack, much like MovieSlate can at an exorbitant monthly fee. The advantage apart from accuracy is that you can feed it 23.976 LTC (I have a Tentaclesync feeding the iPad ) which none of the internal clock apps can stay in time with. I use it for logging concert recordings with my SD970s where I don't cut for 90 min at a time. I export and merge the Logster notes with the 970's Sound Report using a Excel template to generate the full Show Report for the client. It can be a bit tricky working out the export settings the first time as their terminology has suffered in translation a bit, but once set up, it exports as CSVs. Mark Franken from Sounds In Sync (makers of Ediload) kindly updated his free EdiMarker app to handle Logster CSV format for automatic import to ProTools as Markers, too. I tried movieslate for this for one film and found it didn't work for me, though it's much loved by others.

Hey Nick,  Looks good-  I was able to get TC in and make quick simple logs... exporting..   Everything looks good except TC the numbers in the  exported report have are way way off...  Am i missing something simple- or do i have to just keep trying to make it work.....  thank you.... 

j

Hi John, in the iPad Settings window page for Logster,  the switch labelled "timecode instead time' should be OFF (counter-intuitive, but might make sense in the original German). If it is on, the exported time seems to be a date-time group. Also the switch labelled "Automatscher Sync an/aus" should be OFF, and "Export as Text" should be OFF. "Allow access to microphone" needs to be ON of course. If you are feeding external TC to the headphone socket, and the time field at the top of the Logster screen is stationary - you probably have to experiment with the level of the incoming TC. Using my Tentacle with an un-attenuated TRRS adapter, I have to set the output level of the Tentacle to half way between line and mic level. Best to test it with timecode that's vastly different to the time-of-day to make sure it's reading external time properly and not the iPad's clock.

OK that is all working -Thanks Nick!    I have a simple "Mic" input cable to my ipad. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAW85ZG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1   and using the lightning input to the ipad via another adapter. Works just fine.   Did not work at first- but then after a few tries, it suddenly worked.  

Thanks again--  the settings were not very clear and not to mention - in German.

:  )

j