Think dialog is tough? Here's how they Beat-box!

Jay Rose

Fascinating NYT article this morning, https://nyti.ms/2yVqUS8

Researchers put beat-boxers into an MRI, and recorded the motions while they were making full drum-kit sounds vocally. Amazing mouth movements, some of which are like speech... and others, which don't seem to appear in any human language!

Lessons for anyone interested in how the human instrument actually works. Which, after all, is what we spend most of our time documenting. 

...the researchers apparently were looking for the same kind of information, to help develop language-independent speech recognition and synthesis. 

• 2 months later...

I'm confused. I just copied and pasted the link into a browser that doesn't have my NYT login, and it brought up the whole article, no problem.

There's a limit to how many articles non-subscribers can access per month... is that the issue? Try again in a few days. Or clear your browser's cookies... that'll probably reset the access counter.

I'm reluctant to capture and post the text, because it'll lose the graphics and internal links. (And because our livelihood depends on people respecting copyright.)