travel trailer

newzhack

I am really thinking about purchasing a used 16 foot rv trailer. I wondered if anyone else has done this? I hate driving for an hour or two after a long day. I think I have a 22-day movie on the horizon that is a local job but still a 100-mile round trip every day. I live outside the city in one direction and will be working on the exact opposite side. I would like a place to retreat into from the cold or heat when waiting for stuff to happen. The trailer weighs 2300 pound and some change and will carry an extra 800. The only concern is will my town and country mini van pull it. I have an older Dodge Dakota with a big V-8 that would pull a bigger rig but I would just like to stay as small as possible. 

Would you be overnighting in this thing? Where I live neighborhoods are kind of opposed to people camping in trailers on city streets--is the movie shooting in an area where your trailer would not be noticed?  Even if you ran a genny? On a normal movie you'd have to let the transpo people know you had more than just a work-van, so they can factor in the parking.   There must be published figures for how much your van can tow...

28 minutes ago, codyman said:

Maybe look at what's called "Toy Haulers".  Has living quarters and then a big empty, enclosed area where one would haul ATVs / motorcycles etc.  Would have plenty of gear for sound carts etc

I worked on a job with a vfx guy who had one of these, pulled by an crewcab pickup.  It had the amenities of an RV, but also a low ramp for him to roll all his carts in very easily, and work from inside if he wanted.  It was one of those very low-height trailers so no winch was needed even for very heavy carts.  The guy mostly did large long projects (like movies with big FX) so he said that he was living in that thing as much as he was @ home or in hotels.  I was very impressed.