Time Code

newzhack

The Timecode Systems Ultrasync ONE is my favorite of all the timecode boxes on the market right now. 

Unless you're doing a lot of shoots with DSLRs/mirrorless (or similar that lack a TC input, like a Sony FS5), then I'd recommend you buy instead the new Tentacle Sync E (actually, is just handy to have both! Ha):

I own Tentacles and Mozegear boxes and if I had to buy right now, I'd go with Ultrasync One or Betso boxes.

What I miss now is capability to sync wirelessly multiple boxes (instead of ''re-doing'' the set box by box) and a display;  for the market here,  the FS7s  have practically replaced the C300s which had a display at the back which allowed me to have a peek at the TC from time to time to be sure everything's all right.

2 hours ago, Frido Beck said:

Why would you use a Tentaclesync over a UltraSync one on a camera without a timecode input if you have UltraSync's?. The UltraSync one has a screen that displays Timecode and wireless updating of TC from the master clock.

one reason is that the tentacle has a built-in mic for scratch and uses a more common connector.

but honestly I'm thinking it really doesn't make any real difference and it's not worth using much sleep over it - they are all nice synch boxes and if you use them properly they will pretty much all work the same (which is very well).

chris

17 hours ago, Boomboom said:

What I miss now is capability to sync wirelessly multiple boxes (instead of ''re-doing'' the set box by box) and a display

You can have Ultrasync ONEs (which all have a display on them) automatically jam wirelessly with the master as soon as you turn them on I thought.

14 hours ago, Frido Beck said:

Why would you use a Tentaclesync over a UltraSync one on a camera without a timecode input if you have UltraSync's?. The UltraSync one has a screen that displays Timecode and wireless updating of TC from the master clock.

Because the Tentacles have a scratch mic, so it is very easy to send to the L Channel the Aux TC on a DSLR with the R Channel being the scratch mic as a last resort option for sync. 

(although yeah.... I could buy the splitter cable for the Ultrasync *and* attach a mic to the camera as well. But that is a fair amount more hassle)

21 hours ago, Boomboom said:

I own Tentacles and Mozegear boxes and if I had to buy right now, I'd go with Ultrasync One or Betso boxes.

What I miss now is capability to sync wirelessly multiple boxes (instead of ''re-doing'' the set box by box) and a display;  for the market here,  the FS7s  have practically replaced the C300s which had a display at the back which allowed me to have a peek at the TC from time to time to be sure everything's all right.

Just FYI: with the new Tentacle Sync E you can sync them wirelessly whenever you want to from your phone and while you don’t have a display on them you can check their TC and other info on the nice large display of your phone. The app will also show you things like a missing cable from a Sync E and display a sync error between two sync boxes. And all that without even leaving your chair

FYI Constantin, 

The “large display” for a single TentacleE  is not accurate, only the small display which shows all active TentacleEs is correct. Large display on a single can be about 2 seconds late. Maybe they will fix this in a later firmware release. Not a big deal for me as I use the comparison screen usually.

I read the remark about the lag in the "large display" before. And it is not true. If the timebar-display shows a difference of two seconds: a mistake in the syncing process is very likely. May it be wrong cables or other things that went wrong.

Lag of 1 frame, yes. Lag of 2 seconds, not very likely.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-15 um 16.14.42.png

6 hours ago, Jim Rillie said:

FYI Constantin, 

The “large display” for a single TentacleE  is not accurate, only the small display which shows all active TentacleEs is correct. Large display on a single can be about 2 seconds late. Maybe they will fix this in a later firmware release. Not a big deal for me as I use the comparison screen usually.

Yes, I know, I noticed that, too. However, the overview screen is far more important as it will actually display a warning if two or more Tentacles are not in sync with each other which is a much quicker and more reliable way to check sync. It can show tc errors which we probably wouldn’t even notice by the naked eye. 

And since on „my“ sets all TC enabled devices are synced by Tentacles I have instant feedback to see if everything is ok. 

3 hours ago, Jule said:

I read the remark about the lag in the "large display" before. And it is not true. 

Jule, Jim wasn’t referring to the timebar app. He meant in the Tentacle Setup app you have an overview screen of all Tentacles and their respective TC. If you click on one you get a detailed screen for that Sync E including a larger TC display. This particular TC display is way off, for whatever reason. I find it a bit annoying and I‘ve asked the Tentacle guys a long time ago to fix, but it seems they haven’t been able to, yet

On 11/15/2018 at 6:07 AM, newzhack said:

I got this feedback from Ultrasync, "I can't say too much at the moment, but if you are planning to use those UltraSync ONEs with DSLRs on your shoot, or have been thinking about incorporating a :pulse, you might want to hold off."

Interesting....  I wonder if they're bringing out an UltraSync ONE with a scratch mic built in? Probably is the only missing feature from the USO which I would like to see. 

What could the :pulse reference be to? Hopefully isn't going to make my :wave even more irrelevant

17 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Jule, Jim wasn’t referring to the timebar app. He meant in the Tentacle Setup app you have an overview screen of all Tentacles and their respective TC. If you click on one you get a detailed screen for that Sync E including a larger TC display. This particular TC display is way off, for whatever reason. I find it a bit annoying and I‘ve asked the Tentacle guys a long time ago to fix, but it seems they haven’t been able to, yet

Oopsi, I took the “large display" for the timebar app. Sorry.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

What did Sennheiser do?

I bought a new 6042 dual receiver with their rebate program for 3800 dollars. I sent them a perfectly working 600 mghz receiver and a transmitter for my rebate. They sent me a letter saying that the serial number of the one I bought is not in their database. I complained, they said they would send me my check then never did squat. I have decided to take it public. I got in this same deal with Panasonic 10 years ago and they pulled the same stunt. I am mad about doing it twice. 

Shame on me and them. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:24 AM, IronFilm said:

You can have Ultrasync ONEs (which all have a display on them) automatically jam wirelessly with the master as soon as you turn them on I thought.

Yes.

First line of my post: ''... and if I had to buy right now, I'd go with Ultrasync One or … ''

Concerning the ''you might want to hold off'' part newzhack, I guess you signed up for their black friday soon-to-be announcement ? ;)