sound devices and all audio gear on airliner

alidav

On 11/23/2018 at 7:25 PM, ryanpeds said:

No lithium’s in checked luggage. You can end up with mega fines from the TSA. Even possible jail time. Only carry ons for lithium’s and you can only have 2 batteries between 100-150Wh. If they are under 100wh them you can have as many as you can carry. Over 150wh are not allowed. 

- Under 100wh you can carry with you as many you want without the need of the approval of the company

- Between 100wh and 160wh you can carry up to 2 per person flying with you but you have to have the approoval of the company (some don't do ask for it other are asking you to put it under your feet during the flight (like the company TAP))

- Over 160wh aren't allowed

- All batteries have to have the connector taped or protected against short circuit.

- No Lithium ion are approoved in the checked in luggages (not even in the recorder)

- No LiPo ar approoved wherever (nor checked in, nor carry on).

Pat

Thanks for the correction. I didn’t have the regulations I’m front of me and couldn’t remember the size on max allowed. I personally don’t have anything over 100wh so it’s never been a problem for me however I have been stopped and TSA said they had to check with the airline even though I showed them the regulations. The TSA agent had no idea what they were doing. They asked me if it was for a hover board and I said no and then they said it was fine to take them on. 

All my gear fits in just these three bags.

Carry On:

K-Tek Stingray Junior w/ strap

Lav Transmitters

Batteries + Chargers of all kinds

Weather Cover (also kind of cushions things inside)

Checked Bag:

Back Up Gear

Harness

K-Tek Klassic Boom Pole (Fits!!!)

Personal Items / Clothes

Zeppelin / Shockmount / Wind Covers

Backpack:

Microphones

Cables

Timecode Boxes

Day to day needed gear for filming

Most of my travel gigs are documentaries so if for some reason my checked bag is lost for a bit, I'll be boomless however still have a fully working bag with lavs ready to go.  K-Tek Stingray harness would take up quite a bit of the carry on so I check that and just keep the strap in there just in case my checked bag goes missing I can at least tough it out with that for a bit.

gear2.jpg

1 hour ago, codyman said:

Thats sweet, Ive always thrown my boom pole and travel boom stand in the camera ops tripod case or a PVC case I have if theres no room. 

I have been thinking itd be handy to have a check in that could fit my travel pole. Ive been using a k tek 102, the super small travel poles that can fit in a carry on have never been that appealing to me.

3 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Thats sweet, Ive always thrown my boom pole and travel boom stand in the camera ops tripod case or a PVC case I have if theres no room. 

I have been thinking itd be handy to have a check in that could fit my travel pole. Ive been using a k tek 102, the super small travel poles that can fit in a carry on have never been that appealing to me.

I have a full sized K102CCR K-Tek classic.  If you unscrew the end cap on the bottom it BARELY fits in the Ricardo diagonally but it works/fits fine.  Travel booms are cool but like that I still have more reach with this one.  I bought the Ricardo set for <$150 at Costco.  In the three-ish years I've had it I've probably used it at least fifty times now / countless states and countries.  Still has held up great and everything looks near new.  I like this lightweight yet durable plastic they use on the set a lot.

On 11/19/2018 at 7:02 PM, codyman said:

I carry on my bag + transmitters + supporting accessories (batteries etc) onboard so if my checked equipment doesn't make it, I can make do for a day or so while they try to find my luggage or we source local parts.  I hate the idea of landing and having 100% of my stuff missing.

I don't fly very much, but do the same, essential for ENG style shoots starting soon after landing.I leave one battery on the mixer so I can demonstrate that this dangerous looking piece of technology is just an audio recorder. I just put off the antennas to prevent damage.

19 hours ago, codyman said:

Checked Bag:

Back Up Gear

Harness

Personal Items / Clothes

Zeppelin / Shockmount / Wind Covers

Backpack:

Microphones

Cables

Timecode Boxes

Day to day needed gear for filming

do you carry the  backpack in the cabin also? usually only one baggage is allowed in cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to you, I'm new to this and would be helped out a lot with your experience.

I have a few questions about getting gear on an airliner and getting it off again back home from an international flight: I plan to travel to Europe with a Zaxcom fusion recorder.

1: What are regulations on caring electronic equipment (need to leave batteries in or out) in hand luggage / small cabin size suitcase? 

Is it allowed to carry this with me during check-in procedure and get it through security ?

Need the NP1 batteries (65W) stay in to show is working or need they to be left out for safety reasons?

2: does anyone have experience when entering a foreign country at customs clearance, or when returning back home?

Do I need to carry a purchase bill of all my equipment to show as evidence that it is mine and I did not buy it abroad getting charged for duties and taxes/customs when passing customs to declare?

Thank you for all your advice.

It's a complicated topic, but if you do a bit of a search you'll find a lot of good info here (actually your point 1 is pretty much answered in this very thread)

point 2 varies from country to county, but to be safe you'll probably need a "carnet" (form with list of items stamped by the departing and arriving county each time you change places). quite a bit of a hassle to prepare, and takes additional time at the airport.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:53 PM, Patrick Tresch said:

- Under 100wh you can carry with you as many you want without the need of the approval of the company

- Between 100wh and 160wh you can carry up to 2 per person flying with you but you have to have the approoval of the company (some don't do ask for it other are asking you to put it under your feet during the flight (like the company TAP))

- Over 160wh aren't allowed

- All batteries have to have the connector taped or protected against short circuit.

- No Lithium ion are approoved in the checked in luggages (not even in the recorder)

- No LiPo ar approoved wherever (nor checked in, nor carry on).

Pat

this is a general rule or just in US.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:53 PM, Patrick Tresch said:
11 hours ago, Joepo said:

Hello to you, I'm new to this and would be helped out a lot with your experience.

I have a few questions about getting gear on an airliner and getting it off again back home from an international flight: I plan to travel to Europe with a Zaxcom fusion recorder.

1: What are regulations on caring electronic equipment (need to leave batteries in or out) in hand luggage / small cabin size suitcase? 

Is it allowed to carry this with me during check-in procedure and get it through security ?

Need the NP1 batteries (65W) stay in to show is working or need they to be left out for safety reasons?

2: does anyone have experience when entering a foreign country at customs clearance, or when returning back home?

Do I need to carry a purchase bill of all my equipment to show as evidence that it is mine and I did not buy it abroad getting charged for duties and taxes/customs when passing customs to declare?

Thank you for all your advice.

Pat

there is a none issue for gear described, for the 65 wh battery no problem at all. The regulation described on any company website states that over the 160 wh are not allowed but none I know many people that have totally been ignored with 180 wh batteries.
2) when you travel with your personal used gear why you should get through the custom. I have traveled fro EU to us in the past with gear, with no issue at all, have ordered some mic at BH photo and had it delivered from a friend traveling and not a problem also

I have traveled to Beirut from Naples, we toke 4 flights for the round trip, everything was smooth probably because at our destination we found UN officers (we were shooting for them) and military police waiting for us and helping us to arrange all the visas procedures when arriving and leaving. the only eye control we had was in Rome on the hand luggage and they checked the lithium batteries, I can say that I had one 95Wh, one 160 Wh, 1  phone power bank, some AA batteries and a sound devices 664 in the hand luggage and passed through, all the rest: petrol bag, harness, leatherman, cables, wireless mic, boom, windshields, and accessories was in a pelicase checked in. 

the only issue was about the air company that stole us 230€ to take on board an extra small baggage.

Thank you for all information on this one, it really helped me out. The 65W NP1's were no problem indeed.

During my search I found the Dutch customs department developed an app that accepts pictures and ocuments of the gear I carry with me as legal proof...

So in case they pick me out for a customs check, I carry all the proof with my existing gear or newly bought items.

Didn't need it by the way 

Happy holidays!

For q&a related to my Zaxcom Deva 5.8 I will start looking for the right topic in this great JS sound area.

On 11/26/2018 at 6:43 PM, codyman said:

The only time I've been giving grief about the backpack is on regional puddle jumpers since they are constrained by smaller overhead compartments.

I used to travel with lots of camera gear as well. My audio gear is, by comparison, modest. I have found TSA likes to play with it, but other than a broken AKG mic shock mount, no damage has occurred. My biggest problems have been smaller airports. Large cities seem more used to it, or maybe they're too busy to hassle me.