Zaxcom RX200 and TRX743 stereo

Ben B

Hi all,

First of all sorry if this has been talked about before, i did my researches on here but couldn't find the info i am looking for. So please if i missed a thread, guide me to it!

In my scripted shoot workflow i am always running a MS to capture some atmo while we roll. I usually set the tripod away from the set to avoid catching any dialogue on it. Until now i have been using a long cable but it has been quite the hassle when changing the shot or accessing that spot i am looking for without having the cable run through the shot, etc... Either me or my boom op spend way too much time rolling and unrolling cable for that mic. So i decided i will go wireless. I have a colleague that uses a SD302 and two lectro transmitter to a SRb (Salut Jürg si tu me lis!) but i thought about that plug on from Zaxcom capable on sending two channel of audio on one freq (TRX743). That's when i thought about the RX200 and TRX743 combo. The RX200 also receives two channel on one frequency. I could also use the zaxnet to change the gain on the transmitter from my cart. 
Is there any reason this combo wouldn't work? I am a Lectro user and have very little experience with Zaxcom, thus my question.

Any advice would be helpful!

Cheers,

Ben

The only issue I have with doing Ambience/SFX with a TRX is that it tops out at 16k. Which isn’t really a issue, but for the price of a TRX743/RX200 combo I ended up getting a 2nd Recorder. Which I find more useful for ambience and SFX capture.

With that being said I do own 3 TRX 743 and 3 RX200. And both are great. 

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Correct me if i am wrong but while reading the manual of the RX200 i can't seem to find how to change the Tx gain, freq etc... Is it something that is doable with the setup RX200/TRX743? or only with the bigger model like the QRX200?

I don’t think the RX200 has any zaxnet capabilities. The QRX235 can with the right card. You would need a zaxnet transmitter.

i’ve used the 742/rx200. works like a charm. good for capturing atmos on the run for documentary stuff. i recently got the sound guys solution sony l-mount battery sled and i must say its awesome. the batteries last a good while and you dont have to think about it. just build it into your budget. i’m waiting on the locking cone mod as well which i hear is stellar. 

all this being said, if its for sfx or hi-res atmo i usually go with a smaller recorder (sx-r4+ or a 744t) and hard wire it. 

you cant control the TX with the rx200 though. you need something that is zaxnet capable as stated above....

all this being said, the 742/3 and rx200 is pretty damn solid!

Thanks!

Huuum the zaxnet was a big plus but i also think a bigger receiver would definitely be an overkill. I do like the stereo Tx though.

I will think this through and see what my budget will allow me to buy when the time will come. It is not urgent at all, i am really just checking what my options are to go wireless with my MS.

To make it clear it is not for SFX or high end atmos recoding. I run the MS in sync with all the other tracks. I just put the tripod away from the set to capture the atmo of the place while we are rolling a take. I just finished a film where our main location was literally 50 meter away from the airport runway and this setup saved many takes where a plane would land right by us and having the clean MS recording of it make it usable in the final mix (the planes should be there this time... :) ), or that classic long dialogue right by the sea where the waves crashes on the rocks, to cite only a couple.

• 6 months later...
On 11/21/2018 at 3:29 AM, ivanovich said:

. i recently got the sound guys solution sony l-mount battery sled and i must say its awesome. the batteries last a good while and you dont have to think about it. 

I finally bought a rx200 and a trx743 and just tought about what you said, ivanovich. I read that the sound guy solution requires soldering. I do solder my own cables but i'm no expert. Did you do it yourslef?

What kind of L Mount battery did you get? In an ideal world i'd like to have a battery that holds 10-12h or otherwise min 5 hours so i can swap at lunch. What are your experiences with batt life and the trx743?

3 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

I did this mod myself and it was fairly easy. Not a lot to screw up. It’s just a + and a - 

Thanks! What about the battery life with a NP-F? and with the 3 AA? I know it depends but you might use it with phantom power without recording like i plan to do and might have a rough answer.

benb, yep did the mod myself. like stated above super easy solder job. i accidentally unsoldered the zaxnet antenna (green cable) but then i soldered it back up. different batts to suit your need. i use the ikan 5800ma/43wh and can go all day(8-9hrs) they’re on the bigger side. i kinda want to get the smaller ones just because they’re lighter, though i dont mind doing a batt swap at lunch....