Getting back in the game... Need pole reviews.

HenryMilliner

Hello Folks.

Having taken a couple of years sabbatical after emigrating from London to the Smokey Mountains to start a farm and family, I'm looking to get back to doing what I love! 

As I'm reviewing and rebuilding my kit, one thing that always disappointed me was my short boom pole. I used to be a dedicated Panamic fan, and for film work probably still am, but I was very sad to find their 5 stage fixed tip very disappointing and the customer service was awful.

What are y'uns into, has anything come on the market recently? (The locals barely catch my accent these days 🙂)

I guess I need about 4 stages with about 10-14ft reach, that is built well and just feels good to use.

Thanks for any input,

Henry.

Sorry to hear that, Henry, about customer service.

I have dealt with Canford's a few times now for replacement parts, and a new boom and found them very good and responsive to my inquiries.
The Panamic Maxi that has 3 stages and goes to 14 feet. It has been our go to pole for drama for over 20 years now. We have 3 of them now, and a  4 stageSsuper Maxi 16 footer - "built well, and just feels good to use" No experience with a 5 stage Panamic.

The 14 foot Maxi is very light and stiff, collars work flawlessly, repair parts available, and everything I use has the Panamic quick release attachments on it.

My VdB documentary booms have the fittings added for the Panamic release, as well as my super shorty Ambient.

I guess you are aware of the caveat about tightening the Panamic quick release - find the end of slot and make sure the flange on the thumbscrew seats in the circle, not just close. (just a tip for anyone new to Panamic)

Thanks for the input folks, that gives me a great place to start.

Jim, I agree that the Maxi poles age great, they just seem a lot more robust and better built than the Mini I had. Maybe I just caught Panamic/Canford on a bad day, but with near on $1000 in regret it's great to have some other options.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Henry

What about the 5 section mini Panamic did you find disappointing?

Is it noisy, too bendy with a proper wind shield and rifle in the basket?

Any elaboration on your $1000 disappointment would be appreciated.

The collapsed length is what I find very attractive..

I'm a Panamic fanatic (even after my Ambient pole acquisitions)

I was about to make the purchase when I saw this thread...

Best