Red question

newzhack

Had a shoot a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't get my Sony URX hop dual receiver to work with a Red camera stereo audio input. It would work fine with a single 3.5 jumper and I could feed one channel. 

I tried to use the y cable included with the receiver that works fine on any DSLR I have used it on. It just will not work at all on a red. 

IMG_0100.jpg

The more modern REDs have a single 3.5 MM TRS input.  The older ones are as Trey describes.

That cable should work if it's properly wired to separate each channel into an unbalanced output, with one channel on Tip and Sleeve, and the other on Ring and Sleeve.

The problem may be with the RED.  Make sure audio recording is turned on in the Menu, and external inputs are turned on and turned up to the appropriate gain level.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Yes the Epic & Scarlet had two mono L-R inputs. I've feed them unbalanced mic level from a G2/3 (common and shield/ground tied together). There is also a menu setting for unbalanced as I recall. The Epic was squirrely, one minute OK, the next, no audio at all or distorted. The Scarlet was more stable, but still prone to a "RED moment". The audio is only good for a scratch/sync track if that. Even with TC a clap slate is a necessity.

It could be that the camera you are using is damaged, like has a broken mini connector.  As was said, newer REDs should work with your DSLR cable (ie tip LEFT ring RIGHT sleeve GND) and older ones esp with the connectors on the front had minis that were "balanced" ie tip HOT ring LOW sleeve GND, those are the 2 possibilities.  I have at least one client who owns a RED with a semi-functional mini jack that they somehow never get around to fixing, so they get one channel of (ref) audio only.  Many RED owners assume that the audio recorded by their cameras will never be used for anything but a syncing ref, so they kind of don't care a lot about how well it works.

15 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Many RED owners assume that the audio recorded by their cameras will never be used for anything but a syncing ref, so they kind of don't care a lot about how well it works.

+1

Ive only sent a 2ch mix when the operator has rented an A box. I recently worked with a red module that had XLR inputs, mic/line switches, and trims on it. Didnt even have to go in the menu!