DPA 6060 works great with Zaxcom and sound wonderful.

MartinTheMixer

16 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Glen, Is this from personal testing? I.e. did you spend some quality time screaming into the mic?

Thanks, Martin

This is not yet from my personal listening to the DPA6060 under those conditions, but it is based on knowledge of the theory plus actual listening experience of the DPA 4060. The compromised performance of the 4060 when used with transmitters providing 3V bias was significant enough that sound pros (including myself) were noticing the 4dB earlier clipping, which is the reason DPA came out with the 4063 for use with Zaxcom wireless, and the reason Zaxcom recommends the 4063 over the 4060.

Is a max SPL of 130dB vs 134dB significant? In conversational level dialog, no. But when close-micing an actor in a scene where there is screaming (a very common occurrence in dramatic productions), it is absolutely noticeable and even cringe-worthy.

23 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

Is a max SPL of 130dB vs 134dB significant? In conversational level dialog, no. But when close-micing an actor in a scene where there is screaming (a very common occurrence in dramatic productions), it is absolutely noticeable and even cringe-worthy.

Yes agreed this is vital for the work we do. Can we lobby DPA for a 6063!! a 3 v version. I am sure there are enough zax users to warrant it.

3 hours ago, Tony Johnson said:

Yes agreed this is vital for the work we do. Can we lobby DPA for a 6063!! a 3 v version. I am sure there are enough zax users to warrant it.

That would be ideal for use with Zaxcom, if DPA can do it. However, things to consider in the big picture (very punny!):

The 6060 mics should still sound very good with Zaxcom transmitters in the vast majority of situations. With that in mind, there is something to be said for the flexibility of having a mic that can be plugged into and used with transmitters with the 3-pin Lemo and Sennheiser wiring scheme. When that applies to someone's kit, the benefit may be worth the risk of rare but cringe-worthy clipping.

• 3 months later...

Amen Brother!

I ordered 1 to be sure, now I have 5 on order. Awesome tiny mic.

I don't recommend the $30+ 8 way clip- useless.

The "dot" connectors are too expensive at $100, I mix and match pack types, Lectro & Sony.

I love the clarity.

Leo