DPA 6060 works great with Zaxcom and sound wonderful.

MartinTheMixer

Hi all, The good news is that the new 6060 works with the lower bias of the Zaxcoms. The other good news is they sound wonderful. My testing shows (sounds) that they sound better at most frequency/mount setups than the 4063, but always sound as good as the 4063's. It seems to me they might have better off axis rejection. They are much easier to hide. I am attaching a picture of 4 mics. In the picture taken from the top, the mics are from left to right,  the Sennheiser mke2, the DPA 6060, a B6 with a beige cap for contrast in the picture, and a DPA 4063. Reverse the order for the picture taken looking down the barrels of the mic. Great new mic from DPA.

Martin

Screenshot_20181123-210800_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20181123-210811_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20181123-210827_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, pindrop said:

Thanks for your report, good to know, but 'off axis rejection' on an omnidirectional mic?

Pin, I thought the same thing. I played around with it a good bit. While I was testing, my dog about 18 feet away, shook its head, causing the metal tag to hit the metal collar piece. I noticed on playback that the chinkachink sound level  was much lower on the 6060. After that I started listening for other sounds that were not close to the mic, they seemed diminished. Maybe I should have said something other than "off axis", distant axis? 

I may have put commas above in the wrong place, so to be clear,  I was testing the mic, not my dog. 

Thank you, Martin

32 minutes ago, joinwooHK said:

Which microdot adapter should choose when deal normal version of dpa on zaxcom , DAD 3057 or DAD 6003?

Either -- But just to avoid future confusion, the 3057.

However, according to DPA factory engineers, they're identical and simply have different order numbers.  The DPA wiring diagrams for each bear that out. 

21 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

They are much easier to hide. I am attaching a picture of 4 mics.

Hi Martin this is good news. I have just completed a Picture where i used the 4063 with the Hide a mic concealers and they are big so here's hoping that the Hide a mic team make one for the 6060.

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, John Blankenship said:

Either -- But just to avoid future confusion, the 3057.

However, according to DPA factory engineers, they're identical and simply have different order numbers.  The DPA wiring diagrams for each bear that out. 

So the idea that DAD3057's have the ground connected to the shell and the DAD6003's don't, is just hearsay?

1 minute ago, pindrop said:

On the Zaxcom forum

On the internet it's common for one person's speculation to be erroneously quoted as another person's fact.  i.e. Don't believe everything you read.

On a previous version of their web site, DPA had a chart of their vast selection of microdot adapters, and if you clicked on an adapter, you'd get a wiring diagram.  The DAD3057 and DAD6003 diagrams were identical, and both had Pin-1 grounded.

I then contacted DPA USA and inquired about any difference.  I was told that the 3057 was for low voltage use, to which I noted that there are no components in either of these adapters, just identical direct connections. 

The Sales Engineer then contacted the factory in Denmark and here was the subsequent information:

"Hi John,
Sorry for the confusion, we got a response from Denmark today and it appears that they are the exact same adapter. It was a marketing thing when the low-power mic were created in order to make things less complicated. You are right though, per the wiring diagram, there is no difference between the two adapters. See response from Denmark below."

The Denmark Factory Service Technician wrote:

"They are completely identical. When DPA made the low voltage mini (4063/4067), it was a request from marketing to create 2 groups of adaptors
respectably to standard and low voltage."

...Or, you can continue to believe internet speculation.

3 hours ago, Tony Johnson said:

Hi Martin this is good news. I have just completed a Picture where i used the 4063 with the Hide a mic concealers and they are big so here's hoping that the Hide a mic team make one for the 6060.

Cheers

Tony

Tony, Are you referring to the DPA concealers?

Thanks for your input, Martin

9 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

On the internet it's common for one person's speculation to be erroneously quoted as another person's fact.  i.e. Don't believe everything you read.

On a previous version of their web site, DPA had a chart of their vast selection of microdot adapters, and if you clicked on an adapter, you'd get a wiring diagram.  The DAD3057 and DAD6003 diagrams were identical, and both had Pin-1 grounded.

I then contacted DPA USA and inquired about any difference.  I was told that the 3057 was for low voltage use, to which I noted that there are no components in either of these adapters, just identical direct connections. 

The Sales Engineer then contacted the factory in Denmark and here was the subsequent information:

"Hi John,
Sorry for the confusion, we got a response from Denmark today and it appears that they are the exact same adapter. It was a marketing thing when the low-power mic were created in order to make things less complicated. You are right though, per the wiring diagram, there is no difference between the two adapters. See response from Denmark below."

The Denmark Factory Service Technician wrote:

"They are completely identical. When DPA made the low voltage mini (4063/4067), it was a request from marketing to create 2 groups of adaptors
respectably to standard and low voltage."

...Or, you can continue to believe internet speculation.

Thanks John for all the detail, one small step for the internet not becoming a giant seething mass of lies....:)

8 hours ago, locationsoundvie said:

Hi Martin, 

Wanted to ask if the 6060 is prone to the issues that the B6 has. Especially concerning wind noise and robustness, how does it compete with the B6. They got easily damaged and are even sensitive to the slightes pop noises. 

Loc, That's a great idea. Tonight, I will mount both and see what the noise is like with the same material, maybe I can run to generate the wind. Or I could mount both on my dog and throw the toy. Yes, I have done that before, she is so cooperative. DPA, in my opinion and experience, has the lowest handling, clothing rub, noise transmitted via the wire, etc., than any other mic I have used. 

As far as robust, I believe it's the same cable as the 4060 series, so the cable won't be a problem, and since the mic itself is not only much smaller, it also doesn't have a fat part to catch, so when talent "demics" themselves, it should have a lower risk of damage, combine that with a much lower weight,  and you don't need as much sticky whatever to make the mic stay in place, less sticky means that the mic comes loose easier when the aforementioned talent "demics" themselves. 

Thank you, Martin

4 hours ago, Tony Johnson said:

No, the Hide a Mic holders which are a fantastic cage type of holder for lavs, but they are big when on a 4063.

Tony

Tony, I just use DPA concealers.  I like them a lot.

Thanks, Martin

Here's a review I wrote on another forum. Not sure if I posted it here before.

Ross Boyer from Lemac and the team from Amber Tech were kind enough to lend me a DPA 6060. Apparently it’s the only one in the country at the moment. 

For those that are familiar with DPA 4060’s, to my ears the 6060 sounded somewhere between the 4060 with flat cap and a mid boost cap. I’d say more like 4060 with mid boat cap. 

The 6060 is part of the Core series and both the 6060 and a 4060 core definitely have a cleaner sound with a lower noise floor then a standard 4060. 

My COSS11 sounded dull compared to any of the DPA. To be fair the Sanken I used is about a year older then any of my DPA’s. I’ve never been a big fan of the B6 so it’s probably for the best I don’t give a comparison. I will however add that the 4060 is no where near as vulnerable to wind noise as the B6. By my very unscientific testing all 4060 and 6060 seemed equally prone to wind. 

All the 40xx series and 60xx series use the same mogami cable. 

Neglected to do any comparisons with 4060 Slims. 

Will have to do more testing over the weekend before returning the mic. Can I keep it please. 

I’m impressed enough to makes pre-order. I believe they will be released sometime in November and will be around the $850 mark. So yeah not the cheapest option out there. 

Cheers Nate. 

Photo credit left to right. 
4060 Slim, 4060, COSS11, 6060, B6

No automatic alt text available.
No automatic alt text available.

On 11/23/2018 at 9:09 PM, MartinTheMixer said:

Hi all, The good news is that the new 6060 works with the lower bias of the Zaxcoms.

Yes, the mic will work, but it will clip at lower than published levels with the lower 3V bias voltage, and I believe the noise and output levels will not meet published specs. This is not to say that they shouldn't be used with Zaxcom transmitters, but the noise, clipping, and output level will be somewhat compromised.

1 hour ago, Glen Trew said:

Yes, the mic will work, but it will clip at lower than published levels with the lower 3V bias voltage, and I believe the noise and output levels will not meet published specs. This is not to say that they shouldn't be used with Zaxcom transmitters, but the noise, clipping, and output level will be somewhat compromised.

Glen, Is this from personal testing? I.e. did you spend some quality time screaming into the mic?

Thanks, Martin

I was told directly by DPA engineers that the only effect would be a small decrease in dynamic range of about 4 db overall.  this makes sense as the difference between 3.3V and 5V bias is 3.6dB.  There should be no noticeable change to sensitivity or noise floor.  This mic has a max SPL of 134 dB. Changing this to 130dB with a 3.3V bias will not be significant. This is why Martins test went so well. I will check back with DPA today to confirm.

Glenn