DPA 4060 Ambience Recording - Wind Protection

mikevarela

About to get 2 DPA 4060 mics with the SD MixPre3. I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a good solution for wind protection. I'm recording ambiences and will likely come into some windy areas.

I do have a Rode Blimp and cat, could use that. But, wanted to get the capsules farther apart and was thinking about local wind protection to each capsule.'

Thanks so much

7 minutes ago, mikevarela said:

About to get 2 DPA 4060 mics with the SD MixPre3. I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a good solution for wind protection. I'm recording ambiences and will likely come into some windy areas.

I do have a Rode Blimp and cat, could use that. But, wanted to get the capsules farther apart and was thinking about local wind protection to each capsule.'

Thanks so much

You do mean the lav mic, right? DPA themselves sell a pretty well working and fitting windjammer 

The DPA windjammers are an excellent fit and effective. I've also used the Rycote lav-windjammers a lot with the mics. Both good - never thought to compare them. But there's nothing to stop you dangling them into a softie (as in one per mic) if you want more air, or mounting in a proper windshield (or two) for that matter. I've never bothered: my mantra is " if it's too windy to get a good ambience then don't record " ... Having just said that I've recorded several nice 'wind ambiences' with 4060s using the DPA or Rycote lav sized shields. Omnis of course exhibit no proximity effect so don't suffer from wind quite as much or in the same fashion as directional mics.

I would pick up the DPA shields and try those for a while in the real world. You can always DIY or try something bigger if you don't think it's enough for your particular needs or environment.

Jez

Bubblebees, Rycote Furry Balls or DPA Windjammers work the same. For real high wind conditions they won't suffice. If you used the 4060s for lav miking, you'd then use those furries plus one layer of clothing fabric as an additional wind breaker, which will work OK, but alter the sound to more muffling. But for ambience you need it clear and airy.

Wind protection works better, if the wind breaker is moved further away from the microphone capsules. So it will be a good idea to fit the mics inside your basket then (rycote, rode...) and try to lose the furries and the dead cat around as much as possible.

The best wind protection is to find a space where the wind is blocked by big objects close by, like car doors, walls and such

9 hours ago, axel said:

The best wind protection is to find a space where the wind is blocked by big objects close by, like car doors, walls and such

Absolutely. Or your body or coat. One other point is that a tiny dangling 4060 with its own windjammer will 'ride' a light wind often rather than being hit with it. (At least in the manner of it being somewhat unsusceptical anyway being an omni). So, so long as they are shielded by objects against hard gusts, they can be rather good for 'wind ambiences' as I've already mentioned.

They're also my preferred 'rain' mic: dangle them (in own windjammer) beneath a 'washing-up sponge' from tree or whatever - sponge having a thin layer of abrasive (and rain-stopping) mesh underneath the drop-catching lighter sponge material. This helps immensely in stopping rogue rain drops from occasionally hitting the capsule body.