SE Electronics Se8

cbap

This mic clearly isn't intended for a boom pole use (or even human voices) but the low-cut filters, pads and price make it a more interesting option than the Octavia/Rode/Samson "what the heck were you thinking" gang. Has anyone tried this with dialogue? (yes, I know it's a cardiod, not a hyper).

https://www.seelectronics.com/se8-mic/

Forgetting dialogue for a moment, the hot output and low noise specs seem pretty good. And I like SE - I have an earlier ribbon.

The response chart looks nice - a nice rounded cardioid. So well worth a try especially for stereo atmos.

Back to dialogue - up to you to try: the published figures kind of say what you might expect. MKH noise floors/output with a wider pattern. Could be good - in circumstances - then again, might just be a really nice slightly wider production mic. Interested to learn the results.

Cheers for the heads up on this one

While it is not a *super* cardioid, I have seen that a few notable mixers use mkh8040, Neumann 184, and Schoeps mk5 capsules, all of which are cardioid (the mk5 being switchable with a cardioid option), however those mixers are often using some of the best boom ops in the biz. 

In my earlier years I would carry the older se1a cardioid mic in my kit to use as a plant (and on one occasion as a spare/backup boom) and found it to work/sound quite well. 

Give it a try and share what you think!

Having a cardioid in the kit has saved my butt a couple of times in nasty sounding rooms. No rear lobe, less reflections. You won't get a very good result for wides, but the coverage will sound better and the wides would probably be on wires anyway in a really reflective room.

A pair of these could be nice for ambience recordings, since they're small and quiet. Maybe even plants on occasion, who knows? The low cuts are available at the right frequencies for dialogue use in my opinion.