"SD Media slow" warning with approved Media

Armin Siegwarth

10 minutes ago, DonSpaulding said:

I'm having trouble finding a rep that won't charge shipping on top the (already) expensive card. Any recommendations?

Not sure where you're located, but I don't think I'll buy cards from Amazon. I just received a book from Amazon* that was sold as new but appears to be used. The book's usable, but I can envision their harried warehouse workers not always having time to see which reseller's product they're grabbing to fill an order. And I'd think some of the third-party card resellers who use the fulfilled-by-Amazon service might not be the most trustworthy.

IIRC, most of our usual-suspect resellers (Trew, Gotham, etc) only charge their cost for shipping. Location Sound in LA does offer free shipping above a certain cost. And for box stores at least sort-of in our space, B&H and Sweetwater offer free shipping. I have fairly positive vibes about Sweetwater.

If you're not in the US, I'm not sure what to recommend, but someone here can probably help...

Jim

*No local bookstore had it; it's about tube preamp design 😉

1 hour ago, DonSpaulding said:

John,

They took off the approved list since rebranding their own cards. But good advice, thanks!

Looks like they moved at least some of the approved media lists to their archives. Still accessible, but not as easily findable? Anyway:

https://www.sounddevices.com/category/support/approved-media/

Maybe SD's updating their list of approved media for their devices. Let's hope so!

I got twice this message popping up on the feature i just finished. i use a 688 and had once the CF and once the SD being too slow. i am using the Sound Devices branded card. It never happened before i switched to Sound Devices's card.

The take during which the message popped up was unusable. Luckily i had the second card where the file was safe but super scary anyway... I was recording 7-9 tracks 48/24 so nothing too demanding either. It's weird this message appeared with branded (and expensive) cards...

I then formatted them on my computer to make sure i can start on a clean slate. i just hope they won't fail me as much anymore...

I’ve just finished a 10 week show with my new Scorpio and brand new 128gb Sandisk SD cards. 

I did not encounter any media issues at all     

Recording miminum of 14 tracks, usually over 20 and a couple of days, 30 tracks at 16bit/48k. 

The internal SSD has no issues, the 256gb Sandisk card I bought as my own back up and the production Sandisk 128gb were all perfect. 

An an email I got from Sound Devices support said they’ve over provisioned the SD so you can pretty much use almost any SD card in the Scorpio (and probably the new 833) and it should be fine. 

Dont take my word for it though. Ask Sound Devices your self.