New toys from Klark Teknik

ramallo

31 minutes ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Klar is a brand in the Zoom/Samson-family right? Doesn't really look applicable to our business though ;)

No, Now is part of Behringer like Tc Electronic, Midas, Lab Gruppen.......etc. This brand made the best eqs and some outboard of the professional market for decades

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klark_Teknik

IMMO looks (I need to check it), nice for send a stereo transmission from the cart.

Yawn. Another 2.4gHz device. I don’t know about you folks but the majority of sets I work, there are so many things using these frequencies from camera, video village, etc. That anything I bring on set gets blasted out of the air. Which is why I’m looking for a different camera hop system to move away from the Zaxcom ERX system. 

7 hours ago, JonG said:

Yawn. Another 2.4gHz device. I don’t know about you folks but the majority of sets I work, there are so many things using these frequencies from camera, video village, etc. That anything I bring on set gets blasted out of the air. Which is why I’m looking for a different camera hop system to move away from the Zaxcom ERX system. 

Yes, is very polluted, but is free around the world and is less problematic than use higher frequencies such as 5 GHz. Probably will have similar problems as ERX, but is stereo, I want to check it

The 5 GHz band has some advantages however. It has much more usable bandwidth and obstacles attenuate it, so distant interference should be weaker than with 2.4 GHz.

Also, there is some hope as regular WiFi users move up to 5 GHz due to increased bandwidth needs. For example, here in Spain fiber optic access with speeds in excess of 100 Mbps are commonplace now. Are you going to use a 2.4 GHz network which cannot give you more than 20 Mbps of real file transfer throughput and subject to neihgbor interference?

Sooner or later household applications will have to move up especially in densely populated areas. The real solution would be the 60 GHz band but it would require an access point inside each room. 

Gosh I remember when my 2.4 GHz network was the only one in several Km around and the noise levels were really low. 

11 hours ago, borjam said:

Gosh I remember when my 2.4 GHz network was the only one in several Km around and the noise levels were really low. 

When the Zaxcom ERX system came out, no one else on set was using wireless devices outside the Sound Dept other than the occasional Follow Focus, but those were usually VHF. It was never a problem to hard wire video monitors or focus by hand. Now everyone has a device in 2.4 or 5 gHz, and even with a 100mW amp on my IFB100, I often times need to be within 10 feet of the receivers in order to cut through the mess without having to use external amps and special antennae. 

The other thing is that cameras have gotten so small that an ERX takes an exceptionally large amount of real estate, whereas before, the camera folks were stoked that it was a hop and a lockit all in one. 

I certainly see the potential benefit to this new stereo transmitter system, but given the headaches of the spectrum it uses, I think for my own personal workflow I’d rather stick to alternate systems.