Zaxcom ZMT3-Flex.

Hot off Zaxcom’s Twitter account, a wireless transmitter/recorder for sports applications.

Features include mono/stereo transmission (with two Microdot mic inputs), timecode-enabled recording, NeverClip, and ZaxNet. It weighs 3 oz/85 g, transmits with power up to 75 mW, and available info at this time points to a removable, non-standard, lithium-ion battery. The body of the transmitter can bend, definitely making it a competitor to the Q5x PlayerMic.

Prices are around $2500 USD as of writing.

Resources

ZMT3-Flex_front-1920_1080.png

Edited by Daniel Ignacio
Removed guess of integrated battery

22 minutes ago, Mobilemike said:

I wonder what the actual size is. The picture makes it look rather large, but I suppose thats deceptive. 

4.8" x 1.7" x 0.4" and 3 oz

so about twice the footprint as the other ZMTs, but 2/3rds as thick - plus bendable, rubberized, internal battery, dual inputs...

The unit is 4.8 " x 1.7" x .4 inches. It would be great for car visors. Where thin and stereo would be a great combination. Making the decision to go microdot was not easy but it was a good one. While we have had stereo body packs this is the first with 2 separate mic connectors.

Glenn

12 minutes ago, glenn said:

While we have had stereo body packs this is the first with 2 separate mic connectors.

Was this intentionally done because you're targeting sports who might now and then hit (often literally so!) an issue with one lav? (thus leaving the other one free as an audio source)

1 hour ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

@glenn: Is the battery removable or integrated? And what kind of battery does it use? The info I’ve seen so far has been unspecific.

What I saw is that you could probably replace it (yourself?) when the battery ends its lifespan, but this is not anything you'd want to do out in the field. So for most practical purposes then no it is not replaceable. 

The battery is not designed to be changed during the production day. It does come out without harming the rubber case. It requires soldering 2 wires to the battery to change it. The idea is that the end user can do it (if handy with a soldering iron) or at any service shop. It would take about 10 minutes. Charge time with the drop in charger is about 2 hours. Changing the battery does not harm the rubber case.

The battery is a 1300mA Li Ion cell that will run the unit for 6 hours with 24 hours maximum standby time.

The unit is very water tight but not IP rated and is not submersible. We are working on the exact specification for this. The unit is intended to be used on sweaty sports  players. A dunk in the loo might be OK as it is a floater. 😉

On 12/11/2018 at 1:56 PM, IronFilm said:

ha! Of course not. 
But what I meant, is what particular purpose/reasons did they have behind this decision? As it certainly is an unusual feature. 

Actually, if I get this right, the feature isn’t new to Zaxcom products at all. You could for a long time wire two lavs into one plug for most of Zaxcom’s transmitters and have an instant mic backup. Now they went one step further. I think it’s pretty cool, although I will probably never need or use it. The direct MicroDot connection on the other hand is something I have been hoping for for some time and it was mentioned around these pages

All the microdot products I’ve ever used thread directly onto the cable (instead of a free-rotating locking collar, like the locking lemos). Unless there’s another version out there I’ve not seen? How in the world would you screw two of these on to the same transmitter? Are these more or less water resistant then they typical wireless lav connectors? And is there a solderable version of the microdot connector? I’ve always found them to be pains in the ass, another thing to randomly come unscrewed in the field. Maybe I’m missing something...