K-Tek Boom Pole and Local Radio Station pickup

jpb2

I just repaired a K-tek segmented pole for a freind that had a disconnected ground wire at the female XLR. Easy fix, cut off an inch and re-flowed new wire. I was struck at how cheap the internal coil wire was (like 4 or 5 strands of tiny ground wires relying on contact with cheap foil for ground shielding. I realize they are using coiled wire like those old cheapo guitar cables!  He had complained that since he owed it, the pole, at sensitive locations the "B-morning Zoo" inane chatter would pop in for a unwanted sonic visit.

My questions are  1. Is there a superior internal coiled wire to be had anywhere to purchase and replace?    2. Has anyone grounded the whole aluminum pole to pin 1 in order to possibly improve RF rejection?          Thanks for any tech comments

The connectors are decent Neutrik. I really think the weak link is the interior cable... The bridging cable to the recorder is all quality cable/connectors.  Built in filters are good for perhaps static locations that your trying to filter out ONE radio station... ( small band width)  this is a run and gun rig.

KTEK has a new coil cable that is being used on all their poles that addresses that issue. I had been telling them about the issues of the old thin conductor coil cable for years and they developed the new cable with heavier conductors, a matte finish outer jacket and slightly smaller coils. I have used the new cable and it's a vast improvement. As an FYI, they will be closed from Dec 21 through Jan 2 for the holiday week.

17 hours ago, mikewest said:

Also does the recorder/mixer you are using have good rf filtering on it's inputs?

mike

I believe he is using an f8. Next time it happens I'll tell him to go direct to the mic with a quality cable to id the source of his "unwanted sonic visitors". Chime in Gavin,  I think he is a member here...

23 hours ago, Eric Toline said:

KTEK has a new coil cable that is being used on all their poles that addresses that issue.

This link is a stand alone cable extra beefy. looks like they use 2 wires for each pin.  I wonder if this is the same cable they use for internal, just take off the male end and solder that to the interior pole connector?

https://ktekpro.com/product/kmbc1-mighty-boomcable/

3 hours ago, Eric Toline said:

That is not the internal pole cable. The internal pole cable is 3 wire but heavier conductors than the old pole cable.

Eric can you provide a link to purchase? I gave up after 20 min search... I am in love with the fact that the internet can find me parts for repairing gear. ( I repair gear...) 20 years ago it was hit or miss to find obscure parts... now days... THANK YOU INTER-WEB! Ha! , JP

6 hours ago, jpb2 said:

Eric can you provide a link to purchase? I gave up after 20 min search... I am in love with the fact that the internet can find me parts for repairing gear. ( I repair gear...) 20 years ago it was hit or miss to find obscure parts... now days... THANK YOU INTER-WEB! Ha! , JP

Which cable are you looking for, the internal coil or the pole to mixer jumper?

2 hours ago, jpb2 said:

internal coil

You'll have to call Ktek and give them the specs on your pole, compressed length, extended length, number of sections, etc. Each pole requires a specific cable kit based on it's size. If your pole has a bottom XLR it's a "CC" kit, if it's a side of the pole exit it's a "CCR" kit. If you've never replaced the internal coil cable before be aware that it can be a bit daunting. OTOH you can send the pole back to Ktek and they will do it for you. Call them and speak to Karen. Here's the link to the cable kits.KTEK_KCK102_main.jpg