PSC Antenna Distro

manuelchk

So I have received the second unit and I’m having the same issue with them:

I’m using Wisycom receivers and RFVenue diversity antenna.  

So these are the tests I’ve run:

If I connect the receiver to the antenna distro and RFVenue diversity antenna I don’t get any clean freq, the cleanest is around 9db noise floor which it’s unacceptable.

If I connect the receiver directly to the diversity antenna the scan comes clean giving me a noise floor of -2db.

When using the whips for all my receivers I get a clean scan also.

I tried a different antenna distro from a friend and also got clean scans...

So I thought it was mine, so I returned it and got a new one but I’m having the same issues... 

Did anyone have issues with these units?

Thanks in advance.

6E9E2E71-62A3-44E3-BEBD-C6F4F6095953.jpeg

3 hours ago, r.paterson said:

6-8db gain on PSC distro which lifts your noise floor by same amount..

Don't forget the input noise figure of the PSC amp. A quiet amp with any input filtering will have at least a 2 dB equivalent input noise figure. With the gain numbers given, that will put you at an output noise floor of 8 to 10 dB, which is strangely equal to what Manuelchk is seeing. Sometimes the numbers do add up.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

p.s. PSC doesn't give a gain figure on their site. Gain in a distribution amp (input to any output) is not generally a good thing. The quoted noise figure (0.8 dB) is awfully low and would be a very good number for an ideally matched amp on the bench. Maybe not so good in the field. 

Edited by LarryF
Info from PSC site

I'm using the PSC distro connected to 2 SRb and 2 SNA600. i also noticed a raise in the noise floor but not as much as you. I haven't used it enough yet to say if the range has improved a lot or not. Would love to hear feedback from other user with more or less the same setup.

So the conclusion was that the two units were not working properly, weird tho, I talked to PSC and that never happened before to them, I’m now using a new dual band version of the PSC 470-618 and the 900 and I’m super happy with it.

Attached two pictures of the two scans with exactly the same setup but different PSC units, check the difference in noise floor for the same selected frequency.

Thanks again for your comments.

Manuel.

181EBD99-1C4B-4C28-8A2F-570E59166B1B.jpeg

B201EED2-F030-435D-8148-0F67DF8694C4.jpeg

Got a similar issue using the DADM from Audio Wireless with two Dipole from Lectrosonics and Audio Limited A10. It seems that the noise floor is higher when using the DADM. Got excellent support from Audio Wireless after sending in the unit. It will arrive back this week but they told me that the unit is fine. Next thing I will try is to use better cables. 

The new cables are better shielded RG316, the old ones were poorly manufactured RG174. They also told me that one cable had a short. Do you use devices to test you RF cables? 

haha....never stop improving the wireless system =)

1 hour ago, locationsoundvie said:

Got a similar issue using the DADM from Audio Wireless with two Dipole from Lectrosonics and Audio Limited A10. It seems that the noise floor is higher when using the DADM. Got excellent support from Audio Wireless after sending in the unit. It will arrive back this week but they told me that the unit is fine. Next thing I will try is to use better cables. 

I’d love to know if you resolve this issue. I’m running into the same thing with the DADM 226 and can’t seem to figure it out. I’ve tried so many different rf shorties and the noise floor remains higher than it should be.

4 hours ago, locationsoundvie said:

trey do you use it with the a10 too?

I typically use it with Lectrosonics src’s, but have used it with a friend’s a10 and zaxcom receivers. The noise floor is the same across the board. I’d really love to get it working optimally because it’s an awesome distro that has made my bag so tidy.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat as you Paul.  Deciding which antenna distro to get.  I asked my contact at Gotham and was told to consider the BSRF AS-122 because of the slightly better build quality than the PSC RF Multi SMA.  I can't find a lot of info on the BSRF AS-122 in terms of real world use reviews so hesitant to go for that one.   PSC has 8 vs 6 SMA connections wise.  PSC noise figure is 0.8 dB vs BSRF AS-122 noise figure with 1.5 dB.   BSRF is 340-770 MHz  vs PSC 470-700 MHz.  I've read many posts in this group about reducing the spread if possible for less potential RF issues.  So the PSC wins there if that's the case.   Anyone using the BSRF AS-122?   This will go in a bag with Betso Bowties and 6 UCR411s.  Wish I could rent and test them.

On 1/25/2021 at 5:01 PM, Jason Walle said:

I'm in the same boat as you Paul.  Deciding which antenna distro to get.  I asked my contact at Gotham and was told to consider the BSRF AS-122 because of the slightly better build quality than the PSC RF Multi SMA.  I can't find a lot of info on the BSRF AS-122 in terms of real world use reviews so hesitant to go for that one.   PSC has 8 vs 6 SMA connections wise.  PSC noise figure is 0.8 dB vs BSRF AS-122 noise figure with 1.5 dB.   BSRF is 340-770 MHz  vs PSC 470-700 MHz.  I've read many posts in this group about reducing the spread if possible for less potential RF issues.  So the PSC wins there if that's the case.   Anyone using the BSRF AS-122?   This will go in a bag with Betso Bowties and 6 UCR411s.  Wish I could rent and test them.

I use the PSC. One in the bag and one on the cart. No complaints, except the antenna power switch broke on one of them. Still works, just part of the plastic snapped off.

I am using the BSRF AS-122 since 2 years on my cart. Very well built and works like a charm. I found the shape of the BSRF to fit much better in a bag (i have a bag sitting on my cart) and the fact that there is a bit more distance between the two BNC connector make it better than the PSC Multi to my eyes. I also added a passive filter between the antenna and the AS-122 to filter out my IFB and the rest of the RF. I am very happy with the setup.

I also have a PSC Multi in my doc bag. I bought it 2nd hand about 3-4 month before BSRF brought the AS-62. I would have rather bought the BSRF for my small bag if i knew before. Anyway i am not unhappy with the PSC, it's just the BSRF would fit much better in my bag.

I think PSC and BSRF are pretty similar in terms of specs and functionality, the only thing that made me prefer one to the other is the shape and placement of the connectors.