Micplexer 2 vs. BSRF AS-122

Jakobk

I am considering buying one of them.

I see an advantage in the AS-122 for having more inputs, wider band (so i could use one receiver in a totally different block) and a bit cheaper.

My kit is all zaxcom (qrx200 and one qrx100 block 23 into a nomad 12)

What are your thoughts? Have one of you compared these devices? Is there a potential issue with the qrx200 and the AS-122 regarding the filtering?

Thank you and happy new year!

I don’t personally know either product.  But some things apply to all products, and some other things apply to all rf products. 

In the first category belongs the consideration for you to choose the product that best suits your needs. So if you want the wideband feature you don’t even need to consider the narrow band device. 

In the second category belongs the consideration that rf is rf. So generally speaking if you have narrow band filters you‘re better off in terms of interference. Help your receivers as much as you can, even though it can be argued that good modern receivers don’t even need additional filtering anymore. 

And since rf is rf you can connect all of your receivers to either distro. Many people use Lectro receivers with the Mixplexer...

Hi 

my kit it’s all Zaxcom and also block 23 :) 

I bought a used block 23 plexer one 

For 400CAD on very good shape 

if you are using only block 23 it’s not expensive and you have filters

I also use hi and low freq zaxcom tx both of them on block 23 (on the overlapping  frequencies)

I’m happy and was a cheap solution. 

Sorry for my English 

Tha very best for you!!! 

Any wide band RF distro in front of a Zaxcom receiver is a very bad Idea. You will make the 35 MHz tracking filter in the receiver into a non effective device. Anything that does not filter out walkie frequencies should not be used. 

Glenn

Thank you for your input!

@glenn  I trust you blindley! Still:

Do you have sources where this is explained? In my mind, having two filter after each other should not be a problem (apart from adding noise...)

Going with the micplexer would tie my qrx200s to block 23 if i need to use all my trx. I am upgrading the qrx100 to an 200 eventually.

@ramallo What made you change the AS-122 (and to what)?

On 12/31/2018 at 9:51 PM, glenn said:

Any wide band RF distro in front of a Zaxcom receiver is a very bad Idea. You will make the 35 MHz tracking filter in the receiver into a non effective device. Anything that does not filter out walkie frequencies should not be used. 

Glenn

I don’t really understand the logic of this. 

If you have a 200mghz band receiver and wideband  tx and you need to spread over the entire band due to other use across the band then a wideband rf dist is all you can use?, the micplexer is a sliding 35mghz window for all outputs as i inderstand..ideally we need a wideband rf dist with tuneable 25-35mghz window on each of the rf dist output pairs..which i thought Audio wireless rf dist was going to be but its a tuneable 25mghz window across all rf dist outputs ..

On 1/1/2019 at 4:51 AM, glenn said:

So does this mean that you‘d recommend always to use a narrowband filter with any Zaxcom receiver? 

I would have thought that without any distro at all the receiver has to work through all sorts of interference, including that from walkies. 

Isn‘t a wideband distro presenting the same amount of rf to the receiver as there would be without the distro?

Any distro that does not block walkie frequencies can get intermodulation and can screw up any receivers connected to it as the intermods can land within the 35 mhz filter in the Zaxcom receivers. Wide band distribution is a very bad idea. It will work great until it fails big time. When you need it most. Thank you Murphy.

Well yes that is a big reason. The other one is that in many big cities 470-512 is used by Police fire and Ambulance. I do not believe it is wise for us to be in there. Zaxcom wireless has to work all the time. I do not want to make a product that can be destroyed by a walkie. We can place channels together as close as 200 KHz without intermod. I do not think we need to be below 512MHz.

• 3 weeks later...