Multi track Sound Report

Group,

Our first run of the LSC Multi Track sound report is running low and, Before I reorder the 4-part NCR copies I would like to get feedback as to changes that might improve its usefulness. If anyone would like to chime-in before I sign off on it again, please do so.[ftp=ftp://http://www.locationsound.com/PDF/Sound%20Report.pdf]http://www.locationsound.com/PDF/Sound%20Report.pdf[/ftp]

When you try to open, check the URL in your browser's address field.

Just remove ftp://

Or go here: http://www.locationsound.com/PDF/Sound%20Report.pdf

Best regards,

Jim

Have a slot for an email address for the sound mixer. If the post staff have an email address for the mixer, we can shoot them a quick message and say, "hey! The timecode is all way off on the slates and doesn't agree with TC on the files," and avoid getting anybody in trouble. I'd always rather send an email than call, because I hate to wake up the mixer at 2AM for a minor problem like this.

And provide a check boxes for "Transfer channel 1 []"  or "channels 1 & 2 [] for dailies." Sometimes we get mono ch. 1 only for dailies in post, sometimes it's split track 1 & 2. It's nice to know if we know in advance. (I believe the most "idiot-proof" thing you can do is to put mono on 1 & 2, because there are a lot of dailies people who will automatically assign 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 if there's anything on track 2. Stupid, I know, but I see it happen too often.)

I would change "Date" to "Prod. Date" just to clarify it. Maybe consider "Master Format" and "Backup Format," since I sometimes see two different disks or tape/disks come in for post (DVD-RAM and DAT, or an 8-channel DVD-RAM and a 2-track DVD-RAM).

Optional: if possible, tweak the PDF design so that you can type into the form as individual cells. At the moment, anything you type into it gets reprinted in every field. As-is, it's fine for printing, but not for on-screen entering. (That's assuming anybody has the time to have a laptop on set, type everything in, and print it out.) Adobe Acrobat Pro can do this relatively easy, but it takes some time and effort to get it right. If it's just for a printed form, don't sweat it.

--Marc W.

That looks great.

The only suggestion I can offer (a note given to me by dialog editor on my last movie) is to allow more room for clear notes by reducing the size of the track assignment, which is less often used and is perhaps less important than a clear note that might really assist the dialog editor.  Track assignments are pretty obvious with a small notation.  If the notes line was longer, perhaps you could use 30 lines, thus reducing paper use.

Robert

I'm always torn between having just a clear space to write any notes I want and having things more categorized.  On your report the track assignment section takes up a lot of room but the individual cells don't have room for much more than a name.  Since many recordists use the onboard sound reporting feature of their rigs (Deva, Cantar, Boom- and Metacorder), maybe the written report should be more about specific notes about what was mixed with what, where there was a problem etc?   I'm going to be redoing my own reports this year, and I'm going to be looking for a new less track-centric design.  As a Sound Devices driver I wish there was a way to better integrate Wave Agent with the recorder.

Philip Perkins

I'm still using the old style narrow column reports we used with the Nagra. I do employ the report generating function of the recorder and make most of my notes about track assignment there, only noting on the paper report something of a special nature. This seems to be working so far but, of course, I'll change if post begins requesting more comprehensive paper reports.

A couple of suggestions -

The area devoted to track assignment might be reduced by doubling up positions. So, one column would be for tracks 1/2, then 3/4, 5/6, etc. One indicates which track a notation represents by drawing a line. Something like:

Boom1/

/Boom 2

/Plant (in column 5/6 this is contextually plant mike on track 6)

The other helpful feature - but it does raise the printing cost - is to use black ink for the major demarcation lines and gray ink for the optional lines. That makes it easier to write across the lines as the need might arise. Sometimes one can approximate the two-color effect with a single ink by using very fine lines or using a patterned line.

David Waelder

In my work having a report that can be transmitted electronically has become more important.  I'd consider carrying a scanner for paper reports except my handwriting sucks anyhow.  My main problem with all reports is that in the situations where you need them the most you have the least amount of time to fill them out....  One small advantage of the machine generated versions (in addition to uploadability) is that repeating info is repeated automatically.  On the other hand, you have to have a keyboard....

Philip Perkins

If I may post an example from a competitor, I particularly like the long line available for Notes, and the multiple spaces (with slashes) provided for takes.  Since sometimes one might do 7 takes, and only need to make a note on two of them, the Notes area can essentially have a lateral list: "take 2 cow mooing, tk 5 truck backfire" etc.  This line can also augment the track assign spaces as needed, since it runs parallel with them.

http://www.gothamsound.com/docs/sndrepdevav.pdf

Additionally, a field for the Partition # would be nice.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this. I will incorporate the ideas I can and hope it meets most of your needs. I have checked out all of our competitors reports as well and, they all do a nice job. Just personal preference I guess.

They will go to the printer soon. If anyone on the group would like a free package of the new report when they come out, drop me a note at sjoachim@locationsound.com with a shipping address and phone #, and we will send them out to you.

SJ

• 1 month later...