Allen Rowand

Are Sennheiser HD 26s worth the price?

I'm thinking about getting new headphones- my HD 25-1s are somewhere around 15 years old and I don't have a spare pair. The HD 26s are interesting, but twice the price of HD 25s. I've never had cable issues with the 25s but I like the cable setup on the 26s. 

For anyone with experience with both, do you feel the sound and comfort of the 26 is worth the price premium over the 25? I'd obviously need to listen to them, but not if the higher price isn't worth it. I was also looking at the HD 300s but don't know if I want to switch to a circumaural design.

They sound very similar but don't have that ridiculous spade connector that starts going intermittent after a while that the HD25's have, for that alone HD26's are worth it for me. I've found HD26's to be much harder wearing than I thought they would be, nothing is showing any signs of weaing out in over 18 months of heavy use, which is also excellent. HD26's are a liitle heavier and bulkier than 25's so putting them on with one hand is slightly less easy, but more confortable once they're on.

I like HD26's and I've finally escaped that fiddling with spade connectors that used to drive me nuts on the HD25's (five pairs, I tried hard with HD25's!)

I haven't compared the 26, but am a 25-II user myself and even though the connector is a constant issue - I feel like at this point I don't feel like bothering to learn a new set of cans.  Some day I may solder some banana jacks on mine or something.

The 25-11 have gold plated springs that the blades connect to

Also replacement leads and pads can be bought in Ebay for a fraction of retail price

Make you wonder where they are made!!!

mike

17 hours ago, mikewest said:

The 25-11 have gold plated springs that the blades connect to

Also replacement leads and pads can be bought in Ebay for a fraction of retail price

Make you wonder where they are made!!!

mike

Is it possible that the replacement leads sold on ebay are copies and only a fraction of the quality...

The HD26 definitely have far less bass boost which is better for judging dialogue. I find if I have to run/quick waddle with them on, I get a bit of a thud with each footstep. Not sure if it's cable bound, through the cup or if I just have a weird head shape. Not sure if you can get velour ear cups for them either. It's summer here and the leatherette can get nasty. All the same I dig 'em.

What is the problem with the 25s??

I never had any issue, is anything I have to be aware of?

I got recently the original velour pads and they are great.

On 1/23/2019 at 4:22 PM, patrickveigel said:

Have you got a source? I don't find them on the Sennheiser web page.

My mistake – double-checked the ear pads we have at work, and they aren’t velour. Sorry about that.

I was pretty disappointed by the fact that they have a straight jack, instead of the 90 degree angle on the HD25.
That stupid dipswitch for turning the high db protection on and off breaks pretty instantly as well.

So far I like them. HD25s now live in my tool bag for more bash-prone jobs.

The jack doesn't bother me, if it does I'll put a new one on. Don't think I'll need to touch the limiter switch again.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:49 PM, Nate C said:

Not sure if you can get velour ear cups for [HD26 headphones] either. It's summer here and the leatherette can get nasty. All the same I dig 'em.

Garfield Headphone Softies come in two sizes. "Normal" for 7506 and their ilk, and "Small" which I think are designed for HD25-sized headphones. I use and like the normal-sized Softies. Your LLAD (local location audio dealer) should be able to tell you if the Small size Softies will work with HD25 and 26. Or perhaps PSC, a/the distributor:

http://www.professionalsound.com/specs/garfield.htm

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 5.55.57 PM.png

10 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Garfield Headphone Softies come in two sizes. "Normal" for 7506 and their ilk, and "Small" which I think are designed for HD25-sized headphones. I use and like the normal-sized Softies. Your LLAD (local location audio dealer) should be able to tell you if the Small size Softies will work with HD25 and 26. Or perhaps PSC, a/the distributor:

http://www.professionalsound.com/specs/garfield.htm

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 5.55.57 PM.png

Didn't know they had two sizes. I am using the Garfields with my 7506, and have the original Senn velour pads for my 25ers. Happy with both solutions, I do like the blue Garfields on my 7506 though!

On 1/26/2019 at 3:14 AM, Daniel Ignacio said:

My mistake – double-checked the ear pads we have at work, and they aren’t velour. Sorry about that.

getting my hopes up like that. Shame. 

All good brother thanks for checking.