Boom Fader

old school

Or another reason to have the mixer do it all....  LAUGHS!!!!

I've tried these before--you may recall that PSC had a remote fader for their pre-Alphamix bag mixer awhile back (rotary), and Filmtech had one for the LSP4 (slider).  Sonosax had (has?) that pole mountable mic pre and limiter.  I never liked any of them--too old school I guess--I like being able to see the pot along w/ all the other pots and the wireless RX etc all together in one glance.  I knew several people who had one of the above--no one is still using them today that I know of. 

Philip Perkins

As I said last year at just about this time: the SD 788T is targeted especially for the reality show "pack mule audio" folks.

Hmm... not sure I would agree with that statement.  I think you'll find the 7-series recorders on a LOT of sound carts, either as a primary or back-up recorder.

Robert

I've tried these before--you may recall that PSC had a remote fader for their pre-Alphamix bag mixer awhile back (rotary), and Filmtech had one for the LSP4 (slider).  Sonosax had (has?) that pole mountable mic pre and limiter.  I never liked any of them--too old school I guess--I like being able to see the pot along w/ all the other pots and the wireless RX etc all together in one glance.  I knew several people who had one of the above--no one is still using them today that I know of. 

Philip is almost correct.  Film Tech  (Martyn Richards company in the UK) invented the boom remote.  His had a rotary control.  Martyn stopped making mixers about 9 years ago.  He now sells and rents audio gear.  PSC started providing boom remotes (slider style) in July 1999 (wow, I'm getting old, that was almost 10 years ago!)  on our M4mkII Mixer and to this day include them with our AlphaMix.  I would say that about 20% of the users operate with the boom remote.  The other 75% do not.  Those who do love it, those who don't think it's useless.  There does not seem to be any middle ground on this feature.  They either love it or hate it.

Ron Meyer

Philip Perkins

as I said last year at just about this time: the SD 788T is targeted especially for the reality show "pack mule audio" folks.

BTW, I love my Sonosax BD-1 !!

The BD-1 is a great piece of gear. A colleague here has modded one so the device, a radio tx and a Sony type L or M 7.2 V battery that runs both can all be mounted on a pole. It's perfect for some documentary video applications.

The 788T is far from being solely aimed at the reality show crowd. A very powerful device at a very reasonable price.

JG

Seems like the CL-2 wasn't thought through very well.

"The CL-2 Boom Pole Remote Fader is a remote control and fader accessory for the 788T that straps directly to a microphone boom pole. Connecting to the 788T’s proprietary C.Link port (Control Link)"

Maybe it's just me, but having another cable coming down from the boom seems too cumbersome. I imagine it would only be used in a bag situation and I personally I would hate another coiled (or strait) cable tethering me to my bag. Just my 2 cents. Love the recorders?

Gene

" The 788T is far from being solely aimed at the reality show crowd. "

I've been misquoted!!

not 'soley', but 'primarily'...

and that doesn't mean that it isn't great for a cart,but for a cart, you have all bitched that the controls are too small, the LCD is too small, things on the panel are too close together, etc. etc.

I agree it is a great device, with many uses, and I still believe that it's small size was a design consideration in line with SD's main market: Over the shoulders!!

I've been misquoted!!

and that doesn't mean that it isn't great for a cart,but for a cart, you have all bitched that the controls are too small, the LCD is too small, things on the panel are too close together, etc. etc.

>>>>I agree it is a great device, with many uses, and I still believe that it's small size was a design consideration in line with SD's main market: Over the shoulders!!<<<<

IMHO all of SD's product line is just too small and cramped together.

Eric

I've been misquoted!!

I agree it is a great device, with many uses, and I still believe that it's small size was a design consideration in line with SD's main market: Over the shoulders!!

Not quoting you, stating my own opinion. As far as size goes, I do find the 744T too small for easy use on it's own and my middle-aged eyes make the screen too small. Of course, until I replaced my lenses the NY Times AND the Washington Post both decided to print fuzzier editions around the same time my arms seemed to get shorter!

Best regards,

Jim