Abetek 'RadCad' - 12 AA Caddy Charger

abetek

On 4/11/2019 at 8:06 PM, Shastapete said:

Sadly the (loud) fan is the deal breaker for me, looks like a great idea and hopefully a version 2 will solve that issue

items like this are always built to a price point, and compromises are made.  i would like there to be an updated charger with better fans or a “pro” version which would have quieter fans and a shut-off function, once charging is complete.  i haven’t had the nerve to take the charger to a drama set yet.  it seems hypocritical for the sound department to bring noise makers to set.  i am likely to continue to use the charger at home until a quieter version is available.  i am prepared to pay more for the “pro” version.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Carlos Maeda said:

Reviving this thread to hopefully gain some feedback after extended real-world use. 

@Constantin @ao @Sndspd any thoughts?

still the same for me. The little plastic strip you can take off to change direction of the batteries - one of the great ideas of this product - breaks fairly easily. It also wears out quickly and then falls off. And then it’s harder to know if the caddy you have there is full or empty. You can buy 5 replacement caddies for $25, but it’s not a very eco friendly solution if you have to buy new caddies every few months. It may be different for others, but for me it’s not too great. 
that notwithstanding, I still actually really like this charger and keep using it

1 hour ago, OnTheSoundSideOfLife said:

Did anyone try Storacell caddies with the RadCad charger?

I didn’t, but for me it kind of defeats part of the purpose, or you need to find anither flexible system to mark the caddy as full/empty. Otherwise you’ll have to take all batts out and reverse them

56 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I didn’t, but for me it kind of defeats part of the purpose, or you need to find anither flexible system to mark the caddy as full/empty. Otherwise you’ll have to take all batts out and reverse them

I usually have them with the pin/+ on the open side, when fully charged. Once I need new batteries, I take them out of the caddy and put the empty ones upsite down into the same spot. I do this until the whole caddy is filled with upsite down batteries, which is my marker for 'empty'. Now my only concern with Storacell caddies is the small loop hole at the bottom. I'm not sure if the pin would stick out enough to get a connection with the charger:

Storacell.JPG

Edit: Okay, I get your point now, I would have charged batteries that are marked as 'empty', because they are still upsite down in the caddy and I would need to take them all out to reverse them. In this case I guess the only option would be to work with differently colored caddies, one for empty and one for charged ones, the direction of the batteries stays the same for both.

19 hours ago, OnTheSoundSideOfLife said:

Edit: Okay, I get your point now, I would have charged batteries that are marked as 'empty', because they are still upsite down in the caddy and I would need to take them all out to reverse them.

yes, that’s right. 

color coding could work indeed, but you always always need to have two caddies with you. 

I think the other caddies should work ok. Don’t they even advertise those? The contacts in the charger are springs which you squeeze quite a bit as you close the charger so contact should be good. I do have other caddies, but I never tried them in this charger. Maybe I should. But it‘ll have to be next year...