Sennheiser MKH 8060 vs. MKH 416 for sound effects recording

spekter

6 hours ago, engaudio said:

If those are the sounds you're recording and complaining that the mic is too noisy, you're doing something wrong and it's your recorder or a faulty mic. BTW, what is your recorder? Please don't say a zoom (the F series is ok, H not so much) 

I've used multiple 416's over the years with various professional recorders and never had that mic sound noisy with those sort of sounds. Something is wrong somewhere & you need to investigate more before spending money on a new mic. 

Just my opinion and as always I reserve the wright to be wrong. 

Grant. 

Hi Grant,

thank you for your input; the recorder I'm currently using/ testing is a Sound Devices MixPre 6.

I quickly recorded something and uploaded a raw/ unprocessed as well as a processed (compressed and louder) version of the recording; excuse the handling noise. I don't think there is anything wrong with my recorder or the mic and my posts here have probably made it sound worse than it actually is.

I'm simply wondering if, since the 8060 has less self-noise than the 416 and a hotter output, there are any benefits of keeping the 416 over the 8060 - less self noise is always good if it doesn't come at the expense of something else. :)

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Contrary to what Grant above may have implied, I think a good mic is a very good starting point to improve your gear. I would definitely buy a great mic before I‘d buy a great recorder. Both 416 and 8060 will do you well and I would stop worrying about it. By the time you find your recordings lacking something or hyping other things, you get your next great mic. A great mic is hardly ever a waste of money.

Yes, so right now I'm using the Sound Devices MixPre 6 and the MKH 416; I don't think the 416 is a bad mic at all. I'm only wondering if, assuming this would be possible, I could swap the 416 with the 8060 (for the price difference between the two mics), would I really be losing anything (because I would certainly have the advantage of the lower self-noise of the 8060, as you mentioned)?

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Contrary to what Grant above may have implied, I think a good mic is a very good starting point to improve your gear. I would definitely buy a great mic before I‘d buy a great recorder. Both 416 and 8060 will do you well and I would stop worrying about it. By the time you find your recordings lacking something or hyping other things, you get your next great mic. A great mic is hardly ever a waste of money. 

I think you need to reread what I've written in this thread, I've never stated the 416 was a bad mic, just that if the OP is having 'self noise' issues considering what he's recording there's something wrong with the workflow somewhere, thats all. I've done foley, field and post recording using this mic, it should perform fine for all the tasks the OP mentioned without noise issues.

Now I've heard the uploads I have to say of course the quiet bits will have some noise in relation to the loud parts of the file. That's obvious given the dynamic range of the recordings. Maybe Jay Rose, a very experienced postie needs to chime in and add some reality to this.. I'm out of here..

3 hours ago, engaudio said:

I think you need to reread what I've written in this thread, I've never stated the 416 was a bad mic,

And I didn’t say that you did, but you’re right I did mis-read your post to a certain degree. 

I did say that I agreed with most of it, but somehow I thought you said the OP should INVEST in something else first, instead of INVESTIGATE first. Looking back now I‘m not sure how I could misread that, but I did. 

My apologies.

Noise level is critical when recording atmosphere tracks but with run of the mill

sound fx it is less critical.

Research the noise level specs of the two microphones and maybe borrow an 8060 and compare.

I use Sanken mikes for all my work and my Sanken stereo has delivered hours of great tracks

mike

On 1/13/2019 at 2:30 AM, spekter said:

Ok, heres my first post on JW!!!

There is nothing wrong with the 416, but reading your posts, I would recommend you go ahead and trade the 416 for the 8060.

Everyone of your posts  mention your desire to trade up, so go ahead. If you don't youll always be doubting yourself< don't worry you'll never look back.

I personally prefer the KMR81, for both hard foley, and VO/ADR work.