A bag for Sonosax SX-R4+RC8+ Combo

Gimborano

Hello everybody,

I'm planning to buy a Sonosax SX-R4 + RC8+ combo.

I'm looking for a bag able to keep them together with a couple of slim receivers, an np1 battery, and an antenna splitter when needed.

Seems to be that the Ktek Stingray Small is deep enough to accomodate on three rows the recorder, the rotary controller and the receivers, but I don't think there is some room left for the antenna splitter. Morover I don't like to much the idea I can not close the outer pouch of the bag with a zip, even if the lateral zipped pouches seem to be spacious enough to keep my tx, lavs and accessories.

I like the Orca OR30, too, but it seems not deep enough to put everything in.

I have an old Petrol 614, that I could use when I need to bring the full set, and I could buy a Ktek or an Orca for the lighter days.

PortaBrace AO-SXR4AD8+ is a bit odd, to me, since it has no lateral covering.

Is there some of you that found a good bag for the Sonosax combo?

Thank you in advance for your time, have a nice day,

Gimborano,

I would seriously consider the ktek stingray small bag. I just picked up a used one from a friend and its amazing. I’m coming from the orca bag world (own the 28-30-34) and the difference is night and day. I used to use the or-34 (the big one) and it was way too wide for the recorder and fader pack. There was a lot of wasted space. Its overall just awkward for that combo.

With the ktek bag you could put your rec/fader combo and the RX’s in the main compartment and still have room to put the antenna distro box and a comtek bst75 inside the front outer pocket. you’d still have plenty of room for the battery at the bottom of the bag. At the bottom of the bag is also a strap to hold the battery in place. Ontop of all this, you still have room on the side pockets to keep TX’s or lav swag, markers, and tweakers. 

I highly recommend it. Maybe there’s a dealer that can send you a demo?

Check out the FB group too!

You should look if the power out from the R4+ could be strong enough for all your power need. (I know it can handle a SRc easily). So you could skip the NP1 and external power...

The R4+ is so small and light, and uses so low power that your setup could become much smaller.

For a R4+ "only" there is this solution. Not big enough for your needs though.

I use a modified  Portabrace AR-MAXX for my R4+ wich I love for it's small size and it still has a lot of space.

It's the same modell as the :

https://www.portabrace.com/ar-sxr4.html

Sonosax_SXR4_zpsck9gvna0.jpg

Pat

FYI: The output is rated at .6 amps , I run a SRB & 2x 401's with no issues.

Just look on the side of a lectro rx and do the maths, the SRB is rated @ 120 mA at 12 VDC (from the manual).

It means I don't need a BDS, very handy.

BTW, I use a petrol 607 for my setup, this an old photo but you get the idea.

Here in New Zealand it's not such a RF heavy environment and I find the 401's work fine and actually prefer their sound and range to the SRB (using um400a's Vs smqv's at 100milliwatts on the SR) Yeah I know the theory says otherwise but I've been using this setup for the last several years and can say that from experience and 25+ years in the field..

sxr4+ bag.jpg

Thank you all for your advice!

I now use an SXR4, old model, a couple of lectrosonics 210, an Audio Limited A10 dual channel system, a two channel mixpre (non digital) if I need more mic inputs to feed the line inputs of the recorder.

Let me tell you the story behind my request.

The new year is giving me the oportunity to work on a 7 weeks movie, not a big one, but not an indie one. 

Since I wish to upgrade my SXR4 for some time, this movie, a 3 weeks documentary around the world in June, and some other jobs, are a good occasion to upgrade and buy something new; my wish list is: SXR4plus, RC8 controller, a second wide band dual channel radio mic system, an active antenna splitter.

My first question, for the RC8 users is how useful it is? I can imagine it's useful on a movie, to solo each track during a dialog scene, and to speak to the boom operator by the slate mic; but do you find it useful in other situations too? In a one man band situation (my 90% jobs to this day), for a documentary with 3/4 radio mics and a boom, is it worth the extra cost, in your opinion?

An active antenna splitter is of course useful in a movie, but maybe in a doc I could go on using the whips, or use a passive splitter with my two lectro sna600.

Powering everything from the dc output of the SXR4plus is a good solution if I use only one A10 system, but, if I buy a second one, the 7 W recorder output is not enough to feed 2x 4,4 W A10 receiver. I could go with the new small dual channel Wisycom MPR52, or the mcr42, but I do not know if using different brands with different technologies is a plus, since you have different weapons, or a minus, since you could have different sounds.

About the bag, my first question, I already own a big petrol 614, a small petrol 607, a small Camrade/Souns devices Bag; it was for a SD302 mixer, and from the picture I think it's close to the Portabrace you show me Patrick. So I'm looking for a compact bag able to be adapted to the audio kit I'm thinking about. The Ktek small Stingray seems to be a good choice.

Thank you again!