IBM Unveils Groundbreaking Quantum Computing System

mono

14 hours ago, borjam said:

That said it's not the first time someone makes a questionable announcement of a quantum computer. D-Wave have done it several times. 

Did you actually watch the video? It seems pretty realistic to me, both in acknowledging the efforts it has taken to create a quantum computer as a product, and the challenges that quantum computing still faces. The modern desktop computer would have been nothing without the development of the pocket calculator first. 

16 hours ago, LDstudios said:

Did you actually watch the video? It seems pretty realistic to me, both in acknowledging the efforts it has taken to create a quantum computer as a product, and the challenges that quantum computing still faces. The modern desktop computer would have been nothing without the development of the pocket calculator first. 

I saw it and it's an exciting advance. That said I think it's a bit overblown to say that they have a commercially available quantum computer. After all they acknowledge that for now there's nothing you can do with it you can't do with a conventional one. 

I think the video was targetted mostly at investors in order to create some buzz. ;)

And yes, IBM is one of the very few companies that can eventually pull it off. Not many have Fundamental Physics research laboratories.