Camera Mic recomendations for a DSLR

Jack Norflus

Im starting a new doc and the client is adding a small DSLR type camera (at this point I beleive it will be a Sony A7R) for a break away unit. That camera will not always have a sound person going around with it. So they want a smallish microphone that can be mounted on the camera to capture ambience sound. Any recomenadations. 

5 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Didn't ambient make one called TinyMike which, in the demo videos, sounded ridiculously good for its size?

I have one. Won it as a door prize at a long-ago RAMPS/JWS NAB party (more about those soon, I hear ;-)). I like it. 

The mic:

https://ambient.de/en/product/atm216/

The accessories:

http://ambient.de/en/product_custom_cat/tinymike-accessories/

15 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Didn't ambient make one called TinyMike which, in the demo videos, sounded ridiculously good for its size?

Yeah, I have 1 too. Works nicely with the 2 channel Tiny Mix (20 x 30 x 50mm) which fits in the camera hotshoe. TBF the Deity looks like a more compact solution if you only need 1 channel even though the mic itself is bigger, as you can adjust volume on the mic instead of have an extra box or dive into a camera menu. If it doesn't sound horrible it would more be convenient. It you needed extra inputs (eg hop) maybe the dual channel Sony RX with the hotshoe input accessory  as the RX has a routable input for a 3rd (camera mounted) mic and would let you run a hop and/or lapel/s when needed without re-patching cables - caveat being the A7 will need to be in cage to hold the Deity.