Sound Devices NAB - 788T-SSD - CL-2 - New Firmwares for 7xx

Chris Durfy

Got this in my email this morning:

This jist is a new Solid State Hard Drive for the 788T (256g) and the CL-2, a new Boompole mountable  remote fader / mini controller for the 788T and new Firmware for all 7xx series recorders, including my favorite change, the ability to change the direction the rotary fader controls the direction of the menu.

-Chris

Sound Devices Product and News Updates for NAB 2009

NAB 2009

788T-SSD

788T-SSD

Sound Devices is introducing a new model to its recorder lineup at NAB, the 788T-SSD. This new, premium model of the 788T replaces the 160 GB SATA hard drive with a factory-supplied, high-performance 256 GB solid-state drive. The addition of the SSD provides several important benefits including:

* vast internal storage capacity; continuous recordings of over 60 hoursof 24-bit, 8-track audio,

* increased transfer speed versus a spinning hard drive,

* increased immunity to shock and temperature extremes,

* zero acoustical output.

The 788T-SSD will be available on April 20, 2009.

CL-2

CL-2 Fader Controller for 788T

Sound Devices is previewing the new CL-2 Boom Pole Remote Fader for the 788T at NAB 2009. The CL-2 attaches directly to microphone boom poles and connects to the 788T's C.Link port (Control Link Port). It provides a single, 60 mm fader which can be programmed to control any input or track on the 788T. Additionally, two, two-position switches can be programmed to operate functions on the 788T such as recording start and stop. The CL-2 is powered by the C.Link port on the 788T.

The CL-2 is scheduled for availability in Summer 2009.

FirmwareFirmware Updates for 7-Series Recorders

Firmware updates have been released for all 7-Series recorders.

702, 702T, 722, 744T

Revision 2.63 introduces new features and enhancements including:

* enhancement: enhanced write algorithm to significantly improve real-time multi-track recording to DVD-RAM even while simultaneously recording to 3 media

* new feature: LCD scrolling direction menu enables user to select which direction the rotary encoder scrolls through the menu

* fixed: (744T and 702T only): rare TC drift bug

* fixed: drive warning corrupt file bug

788T

Revision 1.71 introduces new features and enhancements including:

* enhancement: enhanced write algorithm to significantly improve real-time multi-track recording to DVD-RAM even while simultaneously recording to 3 media

* new: Track-to-Media feature in the Track Setup Menu enables user to route any track to any media in any combination. E.g. Route MIX + ISO tracks to the internal hard drive and MIX tracks only to DVD-RAM

* new: tone record lock menu allows user to enable tone activation during record

* change: tone latches when tone button is held for more than 2 seconds

* new: LCD scrolling direction menu allows users to choose which way the rotary encoder scrolls through the menu

* change: improved menu scrolling method

* new: alternative option for routing inputs to tracks in the Track Setup menu

* new: high-pass filters now available with digital inputs

* fixed: rare TC drift bug

* fixed: drive warning corrupt file bug

Download Firmware Here

Be Our Guest at NAB

CL-2 Fader Controller for 788T

April 20-23, 2009

Stand #N6129

Las Vegas, NV

If you haven't yet registered to attend NAB, be our guest.

Visit the Sound Devices web site for more information on the full line of Sound Devices products.

I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't announce a full fader panel to go with the 788T.

I'm with you; I was expecting that would be one of this year's new products.  After all, so much of the work is already done, they just need to stretch those round faders into a straight line.

Maybe they're saving it as a surprise for the booth.

John B.

I'm with you; I was expecting that would be one of this year's new products.  After all, so much of the work is already done, they just need to stretch those round faders into a straight line.

Maybe they're saving it as a surprise for the booth.

John B.

Or, perhaps one that isn't exclusive for the 788t, so takes more time to develop.

I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't announce a full fader panel to go with the 788T.

I don't think its any secret that we're working on something of this nature. No thumb twiddling going on here:)

The CL-2, 788T-SSD and v1.71/v2.63 firmware updates are the new things we're introducing at this year's NAB.

Paul

" is the new mixer SD centric like the Mix12 is to the Deva? or will it work with other recorders? " unless you expect a new stand alone panel mixer (like Solice?)...

I'm sure it will work with any recorder that adopts the SD interfaces and protocols!

I'm sure you can also understand that thinking....

as for the NAB releases, and no-shows, well, as I said, the 788T is more targeted towards the "pack mule audio" of reality shows... the pole mounted fader is, too! even the SSD!!

" is the new mixer SD centric like the Mix12 is to the Deva? or will it work with other recorders? "

I'm sure it will work with any recorder that adopts the SD protocols!

If Sound Devices builds a hardware INTERFACE (not a stand alone mixer) then it will be just that --- an interface to the Sound Devices machine or machines. You are mistaken when you mention "SD protocols" which conjures up things like the Mackie HUI protocols that lots of manufacturers use for their interfaces. The HUI protocols in these cases relate to the interface talking to SOFTWARE on the computer. With the interfaces that Zaxcom has built (MIX-12 and MIX-8) and Sound Devices (CL-8) they will always be machine specific and dependent.

Now, if Sound Devices decides to build a stand alone mixer (882 ?) tightly integrated with Sound Devices recorders, this could be an item that would work with other recorders. I do not think this is the direction Sound Devices will go --- too much hardware and analog component work required I would imagine.

Now, if Sound Devices decides to build a stand alone mixer (882 ?) tightly integrated with Sound Devices recorders, this could be an item that would work with other recorders. I do not think this is the direction Sound Devices will go --- too much hardware and analog component work required I would imagine.

Yes, but how AWESOME would that be!

Yes, but how AWESOME would that be!

I agree. I have been wanting a large scale mixer (8 inputs plus) from Sound Devices ever since I first used the 442. I don't think it is in the cards. The Cooper is gone, I believe the PSC Solice and the Sonosax are the last we are ever going to see in a large scale full featured analog mixer. As the recorders get more and more sophisticated, following in the lines of the Deva (which has an incredible amount of built in software driven DSP functions and features), the trend will be to build H U I (hardware user interface) to access and control all that power, features and functions. I think that for those who want it all and all in the digital domain, large scale digital mixers like the popular Yamahas will be the way they'll go.

-  Jeff Wexler

" Yes, but how AWESOME would that be! "

I don't think that is what SD (or most companies) base their decisions on...

Look at the process that resulted in the aborted Miranda and the now available (and awsome) Solice.

JW is right on the terminalogy, what I was trying to say is what Jeff explained,  for example the original CL-8 fader unit is not a mixer, and cannot standalone, or, thus, work without its host unit, and the same will no doubt apply to the forthcoming SD unit, which will also probably not work with the original 7 series recorders (702-722-744).

I thought a Hannah Montana movie would be AWESOME - and...TADA!! - the studio heard my plea, and they made lots of money.

But truthfully, the linear option to add a choice to the CL-8 is obviously going to be just that, a liner version of the CL-8.  That is still pretty AWESOME.

PSC was bold introducing a wonderful analog mixer, which is awesome, but somehow I doubt I will ever be able to afford or justify buying a $10k panel.  The PSC brilliant Powermax Ultra has made using my analog AC-powered board so easy, that I see no reason to replace it.

Robert