ISO Foley Effects Library

Ty Ford

I may be helping a friend create some dramatic radio programs and Foley files will probably be needed. Any ideas on good, better, best, cheap? New/ Used? My thought is that having (or putting) them on a HD so they can be called up and previewed easily in Pro Tools would help.

I've been reading more and more about people using MIDI keyboards to "play" foley footsteps and other sounds for basically low-budget (or short-turnaround) projects. Obviously, nothing can beat actual foley performed and recorded by humans, but a keyboard-triggered sample is an interesting idea. Here's one company doing that:

https://www.uvi.net/en/soundfx/walker.html

6 hours ago, Marc Wielage said:

I've been reading more and more about people using MIDI keyboards to "play" foley footsteps and other sounds for basically low-budget (or short-turnaround) projects. Obviously, nothing can beat actual foley performed and recorded by humans, but a keyboard-triggered sample is an interesting idea. Here's one company doing that:

https://www.uvi.net/en/soundfx/walker.html

That is super cool! Obviously it can't trump actual Foley work, but in the event of a low-budget or 48-hour-film festival, this would be perfect!

In the case of a radio drama, since you're not dealing with picture sync, actually performing/recording foley would be the fastest and the best way to get good, convincing results. Instead of spending time auditioning stuff or fiddling with a virtual instrument, you can just do it.

Of course, you're gonna need pits and props, but I haven't come across a better way of getting things to sound right than performing the sounds.