Sound Devices new firmware - w/ Auto Mute !!

Johnny Karlsson

10 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

Uh oh...

After firing up my 633 after the update I too can't seem to get audio out of the AUX outputs...  with the auto mute on or off..

I have not dug in yet but thats what I found as well..

Slate mic I can hear out of the output to comms, and tone as well... but no inputs... I ran through the menus and saw nothing glaring... 

There may be , and I'm just saying, maybe an issue with that firmware..

Call the mothership in the A.M.

"It is highly recommended that users update to the latest version of firmware available as soon as possible." - I haven't yet but I hope SD change the wording of this recommendation after you contact them. Eg. "Instal new firmware when you have enough time between jobs to check the firmware is working as you need and/or re instal the previous firmware." I know this is commonly understood but the apparent urgency suggested it would be riskier not to. Has it fixed the "Rare event where takes disappeared after renaming[]"? 

Hi Daniel,

We are currently attempting to replicate this issue on our 633, but we have not been able to do so.  Please check the following:

1.  Can you please confirm that you are actually routing audio to AUX outputs either under the PFL for the input or in the AUX outputs routing table?

2.  Make sure that trim on the input(s) are up.

3.  If the above do not help, please load factory settings and re-test.

Thank you!

Danny Greenwald

Sound Devices Technical Support Manager

3 minutes ago, danny100 said:

Hi Daniel,

We are currently attempting to replicate this issue on our 633, but we have not been able to do so.  Please check the following:

1.  Can you please confirm that you are actually routing audio to AUX outputs either under the PFL for the input or in the AUX outputs routing table?

2.  Make sure that trim on the input(s) are up.

3.  If the above do not help, please load factory settings and re-test.

Thank you!

Danny Greenwald

Sound Devices Technical Support Manager

Re setting to Factory settings has it up and running...  NEVER had to do that before, but it works..  We'll see what happens when I re load all my normal settings.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:38 AM, Mobilemike said:

I'm not sure about older, but the 664 is an analog mixer with a digital recorder integrated, whereas the 633 and 688 are both digital mixers. Unfortunately features can't be added to an analog device through a firmware update. 

Yes it is older, the 664 was the first of the 6 series to come out from Sound Devices. 

And it is exactly because of this older analogue design (like you said) is why we won't see features like automix and others added to it. (just like we also won't see this added to the 552 either)

5 hours ago, Constantin said:

You could also send the director the feed from the Main L/R out, right? 

Then I'm back to having to pod him or her down again..  AUX 1 or LEFT output... 20 people, script and the director all need to be auto muted..  If they hear audio between takes they think its going out to everyone.

I think the false take is the best option. We shoot most rehearsals anyhow it seems, so recording the take 50% of the time won't matter.. the other takes, just false take them..

1 hour ago, afewmoreyears said:

Then I'm back to having to pod him or her down again..  AUX 1 or LEFT output... 20 people, script and the director all need to be auto muted..  If they hear audio between takes they think its going out to everyone.

Ah ok, I see, that makes sense. Most directors I‘ve met want the agency feed silent between takes, but theirs either always on, or always off, but of course they’re all different. Somewhat...

3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Ah ok, I see, that makes sense. Most directors I‘ve met want the agency feed silent between takes, but theirs either always on, or always off, but of course they’re all different. Somewhat...

Yeah, sometimes they are so nervous that the feed may be on due to their directing the talent in such a way that is not what the client agency would approve of..  They may want a different direction and would rather have them see their vision first rather than argue about the direction they are heading in. Also, they (talent or director) sometimes say things that nobody should hear...LOL  Like, "who wrote this S*it," or,  "this is the dumbest crap I have ever been involved with..."

They just want to cover their ass and have it off.  Much of the time, it's the producer who actually wants it off knowing the director or talent may say something harmful.

It can happen that on noisy locations or very long lens shots the director wants to hear thru their headset all the time, but the standard LA thing I've mostly encountered is what was said above:  if the director's headset is hot then they assume all the agency headsets are hot too, which they very don't want (will sometimes flip out over, etc).  The former situation would be pretty rare and easily explained on the day, the latter seems to be SOP, and expected to happen without the PSM being told to do it.

15 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

I think the false take is the best option. We shoot most rehearsals anyhow it seems, so recording the take 50% of the time won't matter.. the other takes, just false take them..

I sometimes send the director their own feed (usually because the agency are 300ft away and my bst75 is at the end of its range),but often the agency creative director willl be sharing  that feed so sometimes its a no win situation.

I think the false take idea is a very good workaround solution for production paranoia.

21 hours ago, Constantin said:

You could also send the director the feed from the Main L/R out, right? 

The workflow  most of the time on the  jobs I do, is the director wants the live take plus instant replay,which dictates feeding the transmitter from either the Qtake system at the video village or from the audio output on one of the monitors.

• 1 month later...

Could someone please test this and see if it's specific to my setup, or if there's something going on in the new firmware (I did a full factory reset and then added in all my settings):

Here's something odd, that I just found while doing a walking test with a specific setup on my 633 today:

- I recorded 2 tracks - channels 4 and 5 - while also recording the same to Mix-L and Mix-R.

- hit play to listen back to what I had recorded, and saw the meters bouncing, but I could not hear the recording. Instead, I was still hearing the open mics. I checked the setting "Playback", which was set to "Headphones Only". When I switched to "All Outputs", playback resumed in the headphones, however - the headphones level knob has no effect on the playback level in the headphones at all. I can turn it all the way down to "off", or all the way up, with absolutely no change in level in the headphones.

If someone has the time to check this, and please report back to let us all know. Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

I’m on day 3 on a commercial, using the auto mute for client Comteks. AUX 1-2 randomly reset themselves to all the way down (off), so I have to go to turn them back up again.

i have even saved my setup with the AUXes up all the way. 

The only thing I can think it may have happened while hot swapping external power... maybe?

Anyone else seeing this?