Sound Devices new firmware - w/ Auto Mute !!

Johnny Karlsson

I have not yet had time to contact SD about this. I downloaded and reloaded firmware late last night. Formatted both cards before and after loading firmware. I reset all presets with the factory default settings. I have held down the menu button for 6 seconds after powering off.

I manually put in all my preferred settings and saved as a preset both with and without Auto Mute on X2.

Same thing.

What I have found doing some tests this morning: 

I have additional weirdness now: Cutting external power (from RA BDS / NP-L7s) causes this to happen every time. BUT ALSO; the power warning screen does not happen, it immediately shuts down (which at first leads me to believe that I need to have the internal battery replaced, but keep reading...). In addition, the blue TC light does not turn on at all.

However if I turn off power using the On/Off button on the 633, the blue TC light comes on as expected, and also - the quick startup works as expected as well, so that is kind of strange since to me, it seems that if either the internal battery or the TC battery was dead.... it would happen regardless if turning off by external or the 633's own on/off button?

Attaching a video here.

• 4 weeks later...

Update for those who care:

Sound Devices has confirmed that there is indeed a known bug that causes the AUX channels to randomly reset to OFF. They are on it.

My other weirdness was most likely caused by the internal TC battery failing. This battery also supports the 10 sec power shutdown, as well as quick startup . This unit is now on it's way to the mothership for a battery replacement and 50,000 mile service.